Child Behavior Community
Advanced Toddler?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Advanced Toddler?

I have been looking into a possible placement test for my 3 year old. I've always been all about education and making it fun for my daughter. I didn't come from a happy or guided childhood so Im insistent on giving her every oppurtunity possible. She is 3 and EXTEREMLY independant. Will do everything for herself. She has to help me cook, she makes own meals in microwave, fully baths and clothes herself. As well as brushes her teeth & flouride rinse her mouth alone and does a great job. Was running by 9 months; before 1 she couldn't really pronounce it clearly but you could tell clear as day she knew all her ABCs. Not just the song of repetition that didnt come until later we did flash cards. Letter recognition in periodic order. She knew body parts by one and not just facial simple ones; by 1 1/2 she knew all her parts. By then she could count to ten in english and spanish. Maybe until 16. She knew colors by that time also. She has an amzing memory. It astounds me at times. She's 3 and can LLITERALLY say things from her infant years like it was yesterday to my knowledge their momeory should not be that good. She recalls things that I have forgotten. Her vocabulary is extensive. She can tell me a short story from her imagination and clear. She has thinking depth that I've never seen in a child her age. She tries to manipulate me in very strong and creative ways. Not in a malicious mannor but for silly little reasons. I don't condone that but it does take a certain level of understanding to be able to verbally persaude someone. She is hilarious. I laugh all the times at the things this child understands and knows. She loves to joke around and be silly in front of a group of children shes the "popular" one or leader every where we go. Even to children twice her age. She is always moving around. One morning she asked if she had a worm in her butt? I later found out her grandmother had told her this because she couldn't keep still but she's not overly active but gosh can be exhausting. We do work books with ease, in all subjucts. Even early science experiments I find online. I work off of PreK lesson plans. She has been able to properly use a computer before 2 and by 3 is a wizz. She can turn it on, access the internet, find her games and knows how to exit properly. She can do some math, including fractions. Puzzles are simple. Even owns an online puzzle game and compeletes in record time and WILL NOT allow someone to help. When she was younger I would place the 4 corners and now she tells me no don't do that. Anyway I know it may impossible for some to give feedback on the matter because this may all be natural or impossible to tell by me typing about it online. I just would like to understand if she seems advanced and should I and how should I keep pushing her? I make learning fun always she comes asks me if we can go learn. She is a kid for sure, loves outdoors, and plays hard. Am I doing what I should to keep her challenged? Any tips or suggestions? Im a 23 year old mother, who works, is a nursing student; whom raises this beautiful 3 year old mentally, emotionally and financially alone. I enjoy it its us against the world :) So any feed back would be appreciated!
I guess i don't understand what you'd want to gain by testing her.  She seems bright,  like children who are worked with and attentively mothered and who have active imaginations and personalities.  

I think you should enjoy her and not worry so much about making her advanced - she'll do that by herself.  Just keep doing what you're doing,  it's working!