Child Behavior Expert Forum
Afraid of the dark

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Afraid of the dark

My almost 12 yr old son will not go anywhere in the house or outside in the dark.... Even if a small light is on. He has slept in my bed since he was a baby..... I even go to bed when he does because he is scared. He has never been traumatized . We have a peaceful routine life. He has a social life.... I don't ...... He says he sees spirits..... He still ***** his thumb but not in public or around friends.....what to do?
This represents an anxiety disorder and it invites treatment. You should arrange an evaluation with a mental health or behavioral health clinician.
What could they do but label him?
No one would need to know if you seek help for him.  He would not be labeled unless you told his school that you had gone for help
.
Anxiety is a horrible disorder.  I know I would want help from my parents if I had it.

As an alternative you could have your doctor check for any vitamin deficiencies, thyroid disorder etc.  which can cause problems.

I did not get it until I was older.
I am really sorry for what you are going through.
Good luck
My thyroid quit after his birth.... I was 45. I have always wondered about his thyroid  but doctors seem to laugh at the notion.....
Just wondering.... Is the thought that my son sees spirits the reason for therapy? Or is it being afraid of the dark and not wanting to sleep alone. I have known grown ups that are still afraid of the dark.... Though I doubt the still sleep with their mama....
My family  has a history of seeing spirits my grandmother.... Native American Indian was considered an expert on such things....I know he has taken longer to do things that my 32 ye old did at early stages.... My 32 yr old has a 6th sense as well....so do I . In the jobs I have held ... Therapy is a part of a medical record.... It could effect him going into the military or becoming a police officer.... So I shy from therapy.. Unless of course he was hurting himself or others.... I am the one most inconvenienced at this time...:-)
I'm sorry Dee.... What was it you got when u were older?
To me it seems he is being affected by the spirits he sees and is acting in fear. I can only imagine how freaky that would be! But God is bigger than anything Satan can throw at us. I know that many people are atheist or have totally been turned off of Christianity because of Christians themselves showing such bad testimonies and being so hypocritical, but please, give Jesus a chance. Have someone pray for your son, or even do it yourself and send these evil spirits away in Jesus name. It will bring peace and normalacy back to his life. I have been opressed by demons before (not possesed!) and when I pray and tell them to leave me alone in Jesus name, they leave. Pray against the spirit of fear especially.
Permitting your child to go without help is irresponsible. You are letting your prejudice get in the way. Your fear of 'labeling' is unfounded.
The only time my son is afraid is at night . And he's never afraid when I am near or his ton of friends... You sound like he is traumatized all the time. He's a happy child.. Independent well rounded.... Does great in school.. When he has friends over he sleeps in his room....I've given him to age 12 to sleep in his room... He's a Boy Scout and a young marine a military program...... He does not need therapy at this time and is not irresponsible of me.... And I am not wrong with regards to labeling ... Thankyou for your opinion
Thankyou for your comment....... He isn't afflicted  all the time with the spirit thing.... He's just afraid of the dark. He and I go to church and he is very involved . Native American Indians have rituals... Like sage and prayers.... We also believe in God... Rest assured nothing will harm us in our home... Bad guys or spirits... My son feels safe at home...... It's just the dark that brings his anxiety and the thought of sleeping alone...... During the day no problem...... Outside in the dark with friends playing hide n seek no problem.... Just bed time.....anxiety... God bless you
Such separation anxiety is a legitimate anxiety disorder. If you are determined not to seek help for him because of your misguided notion about labeling, it is he who will be left with the consequences of your decision. This is a treatable condition and you needn't expose him to such discomfort at night. What do you think is getting in the way of your seking help? Why reach out for guidance if what you want to do is maintain the status quo?
Tell him he is a big boy now and he is to old to sleep with mama. If you are gifted why not teach him your methods to deal with the spirits he will have to do it sooner or later. Maybe you had the answer to your question all along.
I'm still afraid of the dark and I'm 18, I've got no shame in admitting that! I also slept in my moms room most nights until I was about 12, then I moved to my room when my mom bought me a new bed and redecorated for me. I didn't see spirits but I felt them and still do. My windows used to open by themselves as well and it scared the crap out of me. Maybe you can try what my mom did with me to try and help?