Child Behavior Expert Forum
Allergies-Clariton

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Allergies-Clariton

Does the allergy medicine Clariton change a childs behavior.My 4 yr. old has been on clariton for 2 weeks. and I am very concerned because her behavior has seemed too have changed very dramatically. She is very irritable and deffiant as well as very emotional. i don't know what too do. Her doctor has lowered her dose from half a teaspoon to a quarter teaspoon. This does not seem too be working. She is also on Ammoxicillan because the doctor is trying too rule out a  sinus infection.He feels strongly that it is allergies but we do not know to what yet.
Dear Victoria,

No, it's very unlikely your daughter's behavior has been brought on by the Claritin. Typical side effects of Claritin include headache, somnolence, fatigue, dry mouth and photosensitivity. Now, Amoxicillin activates some children and can have a destabilizing influence on their behavior. If this has happened to your daughter, she should return to normal once the course of the medication has been completed.

Remember, too, that she may be ill, and this in itself can produce behavior outside the norm for a young child.
My daughter's pediatrician has prescribed Clariton for my 4 year old.  She has a chronic cough that has been on & off for 3 monthes.  I took her off Clariton when bronchitis set in.  She took Zithromax for 5 days, was cough free for 5 days now the cough is back.  I started the Clariton back up but it does NOT seem to touch this cough.  Does it take several days for the Clariton to work or should I see instant results (within 24 hours?)  What else may be going on to cause this cough?(Its worse at night, first thing in the morning and after exercise.)
Thanks.
I have noticed a behavior change in my 11 year old son since he started on Clariton.
Victoria, is your child still on it?  Do you think it is the Clariton?
my 7 year old granddaughter has a problem with her lips and it seems to start the same time of the year and she walks around looking like a clown withbig lips. what should I do about this?
I just started taking Clariton about 4 days ago and today is the first day since that I haven't had wheezing, coughing or having to clear my throat. Is it a co-incedence or is Clariton a slow acting medication. I have to clear my throat so much that I am driving everyone away. God, I hope this works.
Sophie  my son also has had the same problem. his lips would swell. we determined it is an allergic reation to something, but could never pinpoint what. his didn't seem to be at a certain time of the seasons and we couldn't seem to make a connection to a certain food item. i don't have health insurance nor the money to test him for allergies. if you have either, that is my suggestion. p.s. my son seems to have outgrown it.
My nine year old daughter took Clariton also with Amoxicillin for three days.  She awoke from sleep on the third day having some sort of panic/anxiety attack.  She said that she felt like the world was racing.  I immediately took her off the Clariton, but since then she awakens often after about an hour or so after falling asleep with (I think) night terrors.  I am still in the process of doing research and finding out what all this is about.  Is it connected with Clariton?  I do not know yet.  I do know that she never had these episodes before Clariton!!!!!
PLEASE BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!
Coughing at night may be a sign of asthma.
Clariton does affect the behavior
Since clariton is a stimulant or has ingredients that are also known as lookalikes for methamphetamines it does change behavior.
To whom it may concern:
I'm typing this from a college computer.  
I have had to cut my clariton in tiny pieces in order to be able to sleep at night.  I do not take it unless it is absolutely necessary as it increases activity, alertness, causes irritability along with other common side effects of stimulants.  

Does it contain any of these:
Ephedrine
psuedophedrine
phenylpropanolamine or
caffeine
Pseudoephedrine and phenylpropanolamine, which have decongestant , mild anorexic and stimulant effects are also found in hundreds of  over the counter allery and cold medications often in combinations with antihistamines such as Benadryl.
(taken from Uppers,Downers,All Arounders, 4th edition
by Darryl S. Inaba, Pharm.D and William E. Cohen: 2000.)

Sincerely:
Mary C.

Clariton does affect the behavior
To whom it may concern:

Does it contain any of these:
Ephedrine
psuedophedrine
phenylpropanolamine or
caffeine

Sincerely:
Mary C.

Clariton does affect the behavior
To whom it may concern:

Does it contain any of these:
Ephedrine
psuedophedrine
phenylpropanolamine or
caffeine

Sincerely:
Mary C.