Child Behavior Expert Forum
Almost 9 year old biting furniture.
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Almost 9 year old biting furniture.

My son Glenn, is 9 years old and has been biting his nails for his entire life. A few years ago I bought him a furniture set and he chewed that all up. He has chewed wooden mini blinds, as well as his braand new expensive bedroom set that we just got him last Christmas. I am married for 2 years to Dave, who has a daughter that is also 9. Dave and I have 2 children together as well.
Glenns Father past away in the war almost 2 years ago. He barely knew him (his father's lack of communication) and now his grandparent's are fighting me for visitation rights. Glenn would like to see them and I have never said that they couldn't, in fact my husband and I have been the ones encouraging them to be involved in his life. He has seen them maybe a dozen times his entire life. Just before our first court date last week I noticed Glenn has been wetting his pants. This only happens during the day. This problem was also present about a year ago, but has been fine ever since.
Glenn will never say that anything bothers him or hurts his feelings. He is a great child and seems happy all the time. He likes to exclude himself and spend a lot of time in his room.
My main concern is for Glenn. I am initiating counseling for him again. In the meantime can you help me with the biting on furniture? Is this normal? Can it be stopped? How?