Child Behavior Community
Almost five year old potty training problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

I have a little boy who will be 5 on 7/20/2012. He had been potty trained so well by the time he turned 4 until recently now he is having poop and pee accidents. Instead of going to potty when he needs to poop he will run and hide in a corner and try to hold it. I have explained he needs to go in the potty and he does sometimes, but lots of times he won't. We have tried candy and toys for rewards as well. He wants to start kindergarten in the fall but I am not sure if he should go because of this. He had an accident in the pool for the first time ever and now the pool overseeres want him to wear baby swimmers. He knows when he has to go but I can't always get him to go, if I see he needs to I make him sit on the potty but most of the time we sit there for hours and he will not do anything. Sometimes he will hold it till the next day! I asked his doctor and he said he was just too busy to stop and go. Anyone else have a child that does this and what did you do? I can't make him understand he has to stop having accidents, one more and he is out of the pool for good and can't ever come back! And if I send him to school I am afraid he will be sent back. Help! I am a first time Mommy and do not have any friends with children.
You say potty would this be the toilet or a little potty ?Have there been any changes in his life recently may have upset him, new sibling, house move, day care changes ? Did anything happen prior to this change of behavior?
He has used the big potty since he turned 4. The major change has been his Daddy got a new job a year ago working on the railroad. He is gone a lot but this has just happened with the potty thing in the last 2 months. Nothing new or any type of changes. Just all of a sudden thing. I asked his doctor and he seems to think he is too busy to stop. I had problems with impaction from tight intestines and kidney reflux when I was his age but the doc says that is not his case.
The doctor has a point we hear this a lot, children sometime are just too lazy /busy to 'go'   like their brains turn off from their body needs ...He may also be missing his daddy make sure they spend quality time together when he is home ...good luck let us know how he is doing..
   It sounds like he is constipated.  Are his poos very hard and compact? When you say, "he needs to poop he will run and hide in a corner and try to hold it."   That sounds like he does know he has to go, but doesn't want to - which makes me think it hurts him.  There are little stool softening pills that can help.  Fiber is great.  I would certainly use something gentle.
   One other thought.  The kindergarten age in Alabama is Sept 1.  Basically only those kids born in August will be younger then him.  He will most probably be one of the youngest kids in his class all the way through college.  I would consider holding him back one more year.  It can make a huge difference in a boys life.
He is very upset about the pool thing. I think it hurt his feelings the lady asked he wear "baby swimmers" so I am thinking that might do the trick. He has gone to the potty today with no problems. Thanks for the advice.
They seem pretty normal. I think he is just too busy. The pool incident has made him a little more aware. I think it bothered him the lady said he needs to wear "baby swimmers" and he has gone today without any problems. Maybe it needed to come from someone outside the family other than me or his Daddy. Thanks guys. Oh and I talked to him about school. He wants to go so bad. One of his friends will be in his class. Maybe I will try it and if he doesn't seem ready pull him out until next year. Thanks again.