Child Behavior Expert Forum
Angry 5 yr old who hits mother
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Angry 5 yr old who hits mother

My 5 year old daughter has begun to hit me whenever she becomes angry.  She gets very angry and threatens to hit or pinch me, and often she does.  She was very physical when she was angry when she was 2 to 3, but after working with her, she stopped.  Now that same behaviour has returned.  She gets very angry and just screams at the top of her lungs.  It is often difficult to figure out what sets her off- sometimes not getting her way, sometimes asking her to do something as simple as get dressed.  I have always used a light, upbeat voice, and say please to try to reinforce gentle behaviour and acceptable social skills, but she seems immune to this.  I threatened punishments such as time out, taking toys away, not taking her to the park, etc.  I do follow through, although she dares me to ("I guess you'll just take my toys away, huh?"), and when I do, she breaks into hysterics crying, grabbing me, pleading with me not to take the toy away, and then when that does not work, she begins to get physical.  After 5-10 minutes, she is a completely different child- happy, forgotten what she was angry about.  She says she cannot stop  herself from screaming or hitting. At school she is very sweet, but her feelings get her easily.  She is pre-occupied with concerns that the kids don't really like her, they want to hurt her feelings, or think she is "stupid."  She also nightmares once or twice a week where she or I get "died."  
Tags: angry 5 year old hitting