Child Behavior Expert Forum
Articulation Delay

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Articulation Delay

I have a three year old boy that has been diagnosed with an articulation delay and mild developmental delays in expressive language. He was tested at 30 mths by a developmental pediatrian and she indicated that on a CAT/CLAMS or Capute scale his language portion was 21 mths and expressive language was 23.5 mths. His father and cousin have had the same problem and they now speak but my husband has explained how he felt as a child to be a frustrating experience (he had a whole story in his head -and when he would tell it it would come out in two or three words-ie:went park MOM) and to this day he always states that he is not good on the phone. My son is in a preschool disabled class where he receives group speech therapy. I am concerned since it seems that most of the other children have behavorial problems and my son does not. He does not have receptive skills problems (receptive language skills extended to 36 mths). I am trying to obtain private speech therapy for him through the insurance company and have not been successful yet. Does anyone know of some type of creative way of obtaining the speech therapy? If the insurance will not pay-the amount of therapy that I would be able to afford would be limited-Is it possible that students that are obtaining their masters in speech would do speech therapy for a reduced rate? Are the any good books that can be recommended so I can help him at home? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Some insurances do provide a set number of speech/language therapy sessions. So, it does make sense to investigate the provisions of different companies. However, most speech and language services for children are provided through the school systems (via provisions of IEP's). Check out your options about his classroom placement. But remember that his particular placement may be dictated more by his other developmental problems than by the speech/language problem per se. A possibility would be to have him participate in a more normalized pre-school program, with speech/language services as an adjunct.