Child Behavior Expert Forum
Attention Span normal ranges

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Attention Span normal ranges

I have a seven year old daughter that I am home schooling and she seems to catch on to new subject matter fairly easily, when she is interested.  My concern is that she has a pretty short attention span, and rapidly becomes bored with school work.  I try to make things interesting and change the presentation enough to keep it relatively fresh, but there is only so much you can do with things like math and language arts to liven them up.  My original plan was that she be able to do her work without constant prods from me, self start and not be distracted by every single thing going on off of her paper, and send her to private school after she has developed good study habits, and an interest in learning on her own.  The longer we work however, the more distant that goal seems to become.  I'm not sure if I have unrealistic expectations, or if she has a short attention span.  The work we are doing seems fairly advanced for second grade, and I don't remember doing a lot of it until I got into the fifth grade, such as multiplication tables, punctuation, including commas, proper indentation in paragraph writing, etc.  This is the work that is provided by the school we contract with for lessons, and I assume that must be the new standard.  She does learn it, but is not a happy experience a lot of the time.  All kids would rather play than do school work, and I know we must balance the play with some work.  Currently we do about 4 pages of math a day with a 10 minute break between each page, and about half an hour to 45 minutes of language arts, and throw the other stuff (Spanish, Chemistry, Fine Arts, PE/Health, and Social Studies) as we have time and energy.  Four pages seems like a lot to me, but that is what we have to do to keep up.  I have older children who attended public school, and I don't remember it being this demanding.  She always scrores in the 99th percentile on her standardized testing which is required of homeschooled children in our state.
Your description does not invite any alarm. If you want to clarify the possibility of a disorder of attention, you can arrange such an evaluation through a Pediatric Behavioral Health Department. My guess sis that if she were enroleld in a regualr school setting that this ould not pose as much of a problem (because the overall environment at school is conducive to learning, vs the environemtn at home). Since you are contemplating having her transition to regular schooling, you might consider doing it sooner rathe than later.