Child Behavior Community
Autistic 2 year old, or just showing orderliness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Our two year old son has been exhibiting behaviors that has my wife quite concerned that he may be autistic. Of note, he has G6PD. The autistic behaviors are:
1. He has been lining up his toys for the past six months. After finishing, he stands up with his hand on his hip, and smiles as though he has great pride in his achievement.
2. He does not speak - or more accurately, he has his own words, but not in English.
3. He takes us to everything that he wants by grabbing our finger and leading us to what he wishes for us to accomplish for him.
4. He puts his toys in cub-bards, takes them out, then back in, etc.
5. He walks often on his toes.
6. He gets quite upset if a toy does not line up the way he wants it to.
7, He loves to feel everything with his fingers. He is extremely analytical. For instance, we took out a toy that he use to play with when he was an infant. It's a blanket with 2 arcs that criss-cross over it with toys hanging down from the arcs. He looked at it from a distance bending down to look up from the floor, then went to each of the 4 sides of the blanket looking at it from a distance, before going in under the arches to play.
8. He has a favorite stuffed bear to which he shows tremendous affection. He gravitates to the bear when he is upset.

Now for the behaviors that indicate that he is not autistic:
1. He has always looked right into our eyes.
2. He laughs often and does periodically show affection.
3. Although he does not speak, he understands what we say. For instance, if we say "Let's go" he'll proceed to get his shoes and try to put on a new diaper. He has his own language, but says no words in either my wife's native language or mine.
4. He has friends that he loves to see and he gets very sad when having to leave them.

One thing is that he is really terrified of small lights.For instance, it is impossible to get him to enter a restaurant if it is in the evening and the restaurant has small lights along the walls. He also became so upset when 2 candles were lit for his birthday cake that he vomited his dinner.

We thought his fear of lights was because when he was only 7 months old we were caught in a wind storm in Las Vegas. It was extremely cold. We had to run with him to get from outside into a hotel/casino on the strip. I had him covered up in my arms. He was so frightened that he vomited.

Lastly, we live in Southeast Asia. I am not aware of any help available in our area.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

I was all set to help until you said you lived in South East Asia, and I know nothing about the programs/services there, but will still try.  All children who are on the Autism Spectrum are different.  I work in Special Education with children who are Autistic and no 2 are the same.  Autism falls under the umbrella of Prevasive Developmental delays. And some children can have what known what Pervasive Developmental Delay - NOS (Not Otherwise Specified) meaning that have some things that could be on the "spectrum" but not actually Autism.  It would be inportant to have your child evaluated.  I know in the US we have programs such as Early On that specialize in helping to determine educational eligibilites from birth and provide in home programming to help with those issues.  I would at least find some place to help address his speech delay.  I know this can all seem scary, not only do I work in special education but I also have a 5 year old who has some things that are considered to be on the spectrum.  We began teaching him some simple sign language such as "more", "all done", "cup" and "milk" and this seemed to help with his language development.  I hoped this helped some!!!