Child Behavior Community
BAD THOUGHTS from my 7 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

BAD THOUGHTS from my 7 year old

Please help me understand my daughter....The past week..she has been displaying very strange behavior...she says...I can't help what my brain is thinking...Grandma is stupid...tonite..she says...Mommy....My brain is saying something that you will mad at....I hate you ..Mommy...I was so upset...she started to cry..and said...I am sorry mommy...its not me...she tells me..her brain doesn't have any self control...and she can't seem to get these bad thoughts out of her head...but claims...she loves me....but these bad things pop into her brain...and she can't get rid of them...WHAT is this?  It is really scaring me so much...What is happening to my little girl...?Please help me....I can't help but cry....

This is a tough one - have you considered posting on the "ask a doctor" expert forum for child behavior.  I have no experience with this situation; perhaps someone else might.  Wish I could be of more help....
She is having bad thoughts and is worried.  When her brain tells her she hates you, reply that's ok I love you.  (Tip is from Parent's Magazine) It is really hard I know.  I had to do that several times when mine was small.  She knows she doesn't mean it.  If you don't react to what bad things her brain says other than saying some off hand thing her brain may stop.  Another techinique is distraction. Sing a song with her and by the time you have finished her that bad thought may be gone.  I hope it works.  Don't panic, don't cry in front of her, Her brain may get over reactive is she sees your upset.  Grandma needs to handle this her way.   Good luck she is going to be allright.
I agree with pumkiepeanut. But I have to add that my daughter(actually stepdaughter) went through that too. She is bipolar and she had to take 2 medicines for awhile. She was allusinating and that's dangerous. She told me few times that the voices were telling her to kill herself. I was devastated but I had to be strong for her. Never took anything personal, always told her how much I loved her and how much I would miss her if she did that. She was 6yrs old back then, she's 20 yrs old now, very sweet , loving  and grateful. She tells me now that I'm her real mother because I was always there for her. I always called her my beautiful princess, she still likes it. Good Luck, God bless
oops, sorry, I agree with suziet
Thanks so much for all of your input...I spoke to the pediatrician...who says..she thinks its alot of Anxiety bottled up for being in 1st grade....making new friends....etc...She gets upset very easily...loosing a board game...not winning a race in gym...etc..I told her we all can't win at everything....we are better at some things than others....

Today, I took a diff. approach..when she started telling me about the bad words in her brain...I used my psycholog...and said...did you hear that...she says..what mommy?  I said...I hear all good and pleasant words in my brain...like...awesome, balloons, party,etc..as her birthday is oct.23....she start laughing..and it diverted her attention..then on our way to school this morning...she didn't mention anything about voices in her brain...even once...so maybe this way is better than asking..so what words are you hearing?   I am trying this mechanism before seeking the help of a child psychologist....wish me luck...any opinions..please feel free...to comment..I enjoy reading everyone's opinions....thanks for your support....
That sounds great!!!!! Keep us posted.
Thought things were better for a few days..but my daughter is still being rudely talked to by several girls on the playground in the first grade...saying mind your own business, go away...leave us alone...etc...so i think she is internalizing her anger..and portraying or displacing it on me...tonite she said...i hear those bad words again...she whispers in my ear....Your the worst ever...I was like..why would you say this to me?  She said..sorry...i know your upset...that was her response...do i punish her and take something away...can she control it..or is this her getting attention...I dont know how to respond with all of this...i finally told the teacher ...only the part of her being upset or depressed for the past few weeks about these girls...she said..she will be an end to it..and talk to the girls and the guid. cnslr..and get her to talk to all of them as well...and have her monitor on the playground too...

write advice..thanks
My son is doing the same thing..I am wondering if this got resolved, and if so, what helped?
My 6 year old daughter is doing the same exact thing that you posted. I am very worried. I know this is a couple years old so I am wondering if it got any better?  I am so worried that something is wrong with her psychologically. Thanks
My 6 year old daughter started doing this too just about two weeks ago.. She started acting terrified of everything, dirt, dust, weird things and she would wash her hands constantly, she would freak out if one of my boys touched her with "Their dirty hands" Now she started saying her brain says bad evil things to her .. The other night my daughter told me that her brain told her to kill me and she was crying when she said it.. She said but mom you know I never would I love you so much.. I am so scared what is happening to my baby girl!!
Wow, reading these posts I don't feel alone! My daughter is 6 almost 7, she tells me 'I love you' up to 40 times a day to the point where I tell her to please stop as it drives me nuts. I know that sounds awful but she knows I adore her and I do of course tell her that I love her too. I've asked her why she says it so much and she says 'it keeps going round in my head until I say it'...! I've had OCD for 13 years now and I'm so worried she's developing it. My other two children seem 'normal' in comparison. I have a lot of concerns
for her, when she was 3, she went through a
stage of pulling her eye lashes out! She's just not right and as a mother you just know when something's going on. She's going for a 'mental evaluation' with a paediatrician next week so hopefully they can shed some light on it. I'm to the point where I feel I'm mentally drained most the time in her company which makes me feel so awful. She constantly comes out with wierd things like ' I hate you mummy, not really I love you' and 'i thought you'd died and that's why grandma was here' (that was one morning my mum came round before she woke up). Confusingly enough, her school haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with her so I obviously didn't mention anything - not wanting to draw attention to her! Although they did say she'd recently become aggressive with other children when in conlicts. Please help me if any of
you know what could be up with my little girl. Is this just an anxiety faze or is she getting OCD like Mama?? :-(
Kids can suffer anxiety believe it or not.  And as you know, OCD is a disorder that falls under the anxiety umbrella.  I'd hope that you get a referrall to a psychiatrist that deals with children.  There are many techniques that they can work with her on to help her anxiety which may or may not be ocd.  In truth, many kids do things that look like ocd.  My younger son is a bit obsessive wtih order.  I roll with it as it doesn't interfere in his life (the hallmark sign of a disorder is when it crosses over and begins to cause issues).  But a psychiatrist can help you understand if more than normal childhood issues are going on.  I wish you luck dear.
Hi, This sounds just like my 6 year old son! He will tell me he loves me every 10 mins and he comes up with very strange things also!  Like today he came home from school and first thing he says to me is not hello but mom my head told me something bad but im not going to tell you because you will be mad, So i brought him into another room away from everyone and told him no mommy wont be mad and he tells me that he had a dream that I killed myself because he was being a bad boy. Of course I said no I would never do that! Sounds like we could be going through the same thing so if you have figured it out could you let me know! Like you said this is emotionally exhausting! He does have a doctor appointment soon because we are concerned he could have a mild case of adhd, he has a very hard time relaxing and focusing!
    Kind of think the dream is more about him being a bad boy and not being able to help it, then your death.  Once you have seen the doc, (or even before if you have any questions) I am also the CL over on the ADHD forum.  Please feel free to post  here - http://www.medhelp.org/forums/ADD---ADHD/show/175 if you have any questions.  I also have a ton of resources if you need more information.  Best wishes!

Help did these issues resolve themselves my 5 year old is having the same thoughts - I'm so worried!!! Please and advice
I too am going through this with my 6 year old daughter which also happens to be in fist grade.  This just started last week and it frustrates me not knowing how to go about helping her when she is crying out for help.  I have spoken to the counselor and she is in constant watch over her I have set up an appointment with her dr. for next week just to reassure myself that it isn't anything medical going on.  
Hi I was just wondering if you saw the Doctor and what they said? I am also worried about my daughter.
my daughter turned 7 in January and all of a sudden she has started saying that she has "feelings" that tells her to say she doesn't love me then gets upset because she doesn't mean it. she says she nevers hears the thoughts at school. plz help
I'm not sure if I'm the only one who experienced this as a child but it has, since then resoleved itself. Sometimes I still get the visions but more-so the feelings now. I am 27 years old and even into my 20's I had to tell myself that the things I was seeing were not real and I HAVE CONTROL OF MY BRAIN. I bossed it back.
Every time I would close my eyes I would see scary faces or gory details of death. I don't really know if this is normal but I am wondering if it is simply gaining awareness of ones thoughts?
That is about the age when we start to develop conscious thinking, maybe we just start to realize it then and some of us cope quickly by tuning it out or distracting ourselves, where as for others the process takes longer.
Now I work with children and am a counsellor. I am seeing these behaviors in the same age students as all of you and wondering if that's what it might be.
Any thoughts?
Wondering if anyone has any updates or answers from psychologists on this issue.  It seems so common, I find it hard to believe that nobody has received any diagnosis.
Please help... my almost 5yr old (10/29/13) daughter is also displaying the exact behavior.  She tells me and her dad that "I hate you... but I know I love you but my brain keeps telling me that I hate you."  And a few times when she would say that it was like her brain would get stuck and she repeated it over and over and couldn't stop herself. What ended up happening with your child?  Did everything turn out ok?  Did you take her to a therapist?  I'm so scared for my sweet girl... who before this started never said mean things and always said "I love you for infinity" it could take 20min just to tuck her in at night because of all the ways we could tell each other how much we love each other. Anyone?  I'm so worried
my 6 year old daughter saw the c word and has since spelled it twice.They are all independent of each other. I was gently told today that parents are making other parents aware that my daughter is spelling this word and to be careful if she plays with their children. She has also mentioned that she doesn't know why she says what she says and does what she does. I am at such a loss and my hearts breaking. I was picked on in school and was never invited to any friends houses or birthday parties. Now, my poor little girl who loves, plays, smiles and has a huge heart is doing things to make others not want to be her friend.

I am so afraid for her and want whats best. This week has been hell for me 4 human deaths and a feline death. When I was told about parents telling each other, I said that that was at the bottom of my list because of all the loss I am dealing with this week. I was then told that that concerns them because that should be at the top of the list. I explained that my girl was punished, had things taken away from her and was yelled at. That she had her favorite things taken away from her. She wrote a note to the little girl she spelled it to saying she was sorry. I was told that my daughter can't play with this little girl alone for a while.

I understand that, I really do, but what can I do to help my child? She's had some issues in the past and is seeing a child therapist, but now, I'm not so sure that that's working. She has such a loving nature, very clingy with me and hates to be away from me. What is there for me to do? My beautiful little princess deserves to have friends and to be good. So scared for her. Please help me help her. Please.
  Besides my other post to you, I wonder what her teacher is saying?  Does she see any problems?  Kids will do things for attention.   And just as suddenly as it happened it may be gone.  But, I would ask the teacher if she is having any academic problems that could indicate other problems.