Child Behavior Community
Bedwetting an indicator of sociopathic behavior>

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

I have an 8 year old stepson whom I've been raising since he was 3.5 He has a really bad bedwetting problem and we have gone to doctors and there seems to be no physiological problems. We have tried everything-from ignoring it, to pull-ups, different beds and sheets, different room, different pajamas, restricting water after 6pm, taking away toys, etc, you name it-we've tried it. He is now 8 and theproblem is still persistent. The only time it's stopped for an extended perios (periods) was when he visited his grandparents for a month and he didn't wet his bed for two weeks. I was doing some research and came across a site that included extended bedwetting as an indicator of sociopathic behavior. He is overall a good kid but he is a very big liar. We have had child services come over twice for suspicions of child abuse. After questioning him, it was concluded that he had lied to his teacher. He is a people pleaser and very manipulating and cunning. I know all kids tell lies but his lies have gotten us into legal troubles. His biological mom, whom he has never met, has a history of being a pathological liar and a little mentally unstable. I read that sociopathic disorders are genetic.

He is not cruel to animals or other children. What other warning signs should I watch out for?
I am a grandmother and have known several kids who wet the bed until about 10 or 12.  They turned out fine.  I think that some kids just do not feel the pressure when they are asleep.  I would be patient and kind with him.  I know it is a pain, but it will pass.

I agree with wicky.  It's not that unusual for a boy to wet the bed at his age - and it's not something to be punished or ignored,  as you wouldn't punish or ignore sneezing.  

My oldest wet the bed that long,  and a couple years longer - and we "walked" him during the night.  So around 1 a.m.,  one of us would get up and walk him to the bathroom.  This went on for about 5 years.  Solved the problem.

Most people have a hormone that is released in their sleep that cuts urine production.  That's how you can go 8 hours of sleep without having to urinate.  Some kids don't have that,  or sleep so soundly they don't notice when their bladders are full and wake up.

Walk him to the bathroom at night.    It will solve it.