Child Behavior Community
Behavior At School

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Behavior At School

My son is in Kindergarten.  He is 5 years old and is small for his age.  Academically, he does well at school.  About 1 time a week, he has an incident at school where he hits, throws a toy at or otherwise makes contact with a child.  He is never belligerent or angry when this happens and when you ask him why, he either lies and says he didnt do it or he shrugs his shoulders.   (THIS IS ALL PER THE TEACHER).  He is on a tier 3 behavioral assessment at school and I feel like this is just normal 5 yr old behavior or that the teacher is trying to "make him a robot."  
My experience with my son, and the experience with every other person in his life is that he is well behaved and not harmful.  I've been subjected to a team of professionals at school inlcuding a child psychologist that all tell me that he needs to be evaluated for behavioral problems.  The teacher has stated that he shows no remorse for his behavior, and tells her that "I wasn't trying to hurt anyone, I was just playing."  Both she and the psychologist interpret this as a lack of remorse.  What I want to know is... 1. Is this normal 5 yr old behavior of an only child?  2. Should I subject my child to this kind of scrutiny at school?   3. Are these concerns by the school legitimate?

I would really appreciate any help I can get.
Belle283
When he throws something, what does the school do?  One of the things our school did was have a bad choice table (not a timeout).  When a child did something inappropriate they had to sit at the bad choice table and think about it.  When they sat for awhile, they would be asked "What would have been a better choice to make"?  When a child makes a choice there should be a consequence.  If the school is having a problem with your child and you are not, then the problem is within the school and I would let the school know that.  Write a letter to the school board and talk to the Principal.