Child Behavior Expert Forum
Behavioral Problems With Our 3 yo

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Behavioral Problems With Our 3 yo

We have a son who turned 3 in June and a daughter who turns 5 next month (October). We have come to realize that he is not like other kids his age or even younger.
Here is what we have noticed from his intellectual standing;
He knew and recognized all the letters before he turned two as well as the major colors and shapes. He picked all this up at the gym day care. He now easily counts to 14 without mistakes and to 20 with help. He seems  very interested in numbers and letters. He plays a keyboard a little on his own with both hands using fingers. He is a huge climber. You would think we belong in a circus- he climbs places where big kids will not attempt to climb and never falls. He speaks well and plays pretend, can build fun stuff with leggos and just loves to learn.
However-
he does not listen well and likes to get into trouble. As parents we no longer go to BBQs because it is very hard to socialize with friends- my husband and I take turns chasing him around and getting him off the fances. I stay home with my kids but I chase him around all day long - or asking him not to climb the TV. There are times when he is calm but not for long. I know he acts different or rather worse around his sister but all together we are having a hard time with him. He has been on asthma medicine since he was one. He attends gym daycare which is structured like a pre-school (they do crafts, circle time, snack time etc) where he does well. He does go to timeout nearly every day for not listening or pushing someone. When I come to get him he tells me he was in time-out. Here is another example- we had a play date with other moms so about 12 other kids similar ages. They were all playing with toys and pool but he was trying to touch the fan, go to the garage or do something other kids were not doing. I know he likes to explore but I am worried that he would be kicked out of a real daycare or school if he was attending one.
It may eventually turn out that he displays hyperactivity, a neurological condition. However, be that as it may, you nonetheless have to manage the behavior. A reliable method is to be found in Lynn Clark's book SOS Help for Parents. Get this book, follow its guidelines to a 'T', and you'll see improvement (see www.sosprograms.com).