Child Behavior Community
Behaviour Problems with my 2 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Behaviour Problems with my 2 year old

My daughter is 2.5 years old and we are having several problems with her. She talks very well and our communcation is good. However she hits and bites, mainly me. She wont hit my husband but she will her grandmother occasionally. Still trys to pull on cords. Uses toys inappropraitly. Rips her books. Pulls on curtains. On and on... I thought we should be past the point of baby gates by now but that is not happening. I'm very frustrated as I feel my day revolves around stopping her from doing these things. She doesn't respect boundaries even when she has brought me to my breaking point she just continues on with no care. Her imagination play is good, she can count, knows her colors I don't reconize any learning problem except on a social level. I know the two's are "terrible" but I'm just not sure if we are on the extreme end of it here or if there is more going on. Time outs, taking toys away, removing her don't seem to help they lead to tantrums. I'm pregnant and expecting soon I don't know how I will be able to take care of a baby when she is acting like this. It is wild.
O.K. She bites and hits only you and occasionally your mom.  Now is the perfect age to put a stop to this.  I have seven kids and have been there before so bear with me...If she bites you, your reaction needs to be immediate with her.  What works for me, is I immediately flick him or her in the teeth, and then in the most mean voice I can yell as loud and sternly as possible say, "DON'T YOU EVER BITE MOMMY AGAIN"  Believe me it will only happen maybe one more time if at all.  As for hitting mommy whack her right back and repeat the same phrase.  Then walk away, don't go on with long explanations etc.  Turn your back and continue to do what you were doing.  The thing that I had to realise back when I first started having kids is, "I AM THE BOSS, I AM THE PARENT"  It takes a lot of patience but it will work.  If you look at kids and their dad's most times Dad opens his mouth and kids jump to attention, it's because most Dad's command athority.  Most of us moms are softy's myself included, but if you put her through your own little boot camp for a few weeks, she will know exactly how far she can push.  Within a few weeks you'll have a very happy mommy and a wonderful little girl.  Good luck with her and the new baby.