Child Behavior Community
Biting Fingertips and Toes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Biting Fingertips and Toes

My 5- year old daughter is always biting the skin off of her fingertips and toes. I'm beginning to become concerned. When I look at her toes and fingertips when she gets out of the bathtub I see little bite marks. (It is more noticable when she has just gotten out of the tub) Sometimes I will catch her biting her toes and she will stop when she sees me. She will put on socks to keep from biting them when I tell her to stop. What do you think the problem is?
Personally, I do bite my fingernails.  Maybe she's nervous?  I guess it's just a bad habit she's started.  I'd check with the pediatrician first and see what kind of advice they give you.
My brother bites his toe nails... gross, I know.   He's 21.  That's all I have to say.   Good luck.
MY CHILD IS 5 ALSO AND DOES THE SAME THING.  THEY BITE THEIR TOE NAILS AND THE SKIN ON THEIR TOES AND FINGERS.  I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS NORMAL BUT JUST TO LET YOU KNOW MY CHILD DOES THIS ALSO.  HOPE THIS MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER.
This is a sign of anxiety - are there any other signs or symptoms?  
my 4 1/2 year old also does this.  The doctor told me it is a sign of anxiety and if anything has changed in my home.  Such as
new step parents, siblings, change of school. etc.  My only change has been the death of his papa. We think he may be concerned about death. Because he is always asking when he is sick if he is going to die.  
If this is a form of anxiety how can I alleviate this habit in my daughter?  She will be 6 years old soon and it is getting worse.  She has already had two mouth infections due to this bad habit.  HELP!!!
My son is almost 41/2 and he also bites the skin near his toenails. I asked him why he does that and he says because there is skin there. I told him there is suppose to be skin there. I am getting concern because he is biting the first layer of skin off a little bit. He says it hurts him a little bit, so when it starts to bother him he will stop for a while, than after a few days past he will continue to do that again. What should I do? They say biting nails is from being nervous, but skin?
My son also bites his skin ans he's fice also. He bites his finger tips, knuckles, edge of inside of the hand toes omg y. He bites so much to the poin where he bits the skin on his thumb it has a huge lump and it is lighter. His fingers r so ugly I asked him y he does it and he don't even know y him self. So this is a problem I would loe to see an answer to myself.......pls help.