Child Behavior Expert Forum
Biting skin on fingers

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Biting skin on fingers
I am a 31 year old female and for at least 20years (possibly longer) I have been biting the skin around my fingers.  I used to bite my nails but managed to stop that habit.

I bite the skin until it bleeds and on my thumbs right down to my knuckles.  It is very painful and looks unsightly but I cannot stop doing it. Do you have any suggestions on why I maybe doing this and how I can stop and if there is anything I can use.

Many thanks
It is likely this behavior began as a means of stress/tension reduction and developed into a habit pattern. You can stop it via a combination of cognitive-behavioral therapy and perhaps medication. This Forum addresses child issues, but you should post your question in the Mental Health Forum for additional guidance.
Hi, try putting nail biting varnish on, or piri piri.  My kids sometimes do the same, and I am so worried about all the germs that they may be transmitting to their system, that I put the varnish on and it stops them whilst its on.

A related discussion, I cant stop biting my skin was started.