Child Behavior Expert Forum
Biting skin on fingers
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Biting skin on fingers

I am a 31 year old female and for at least 20years (possibly longer) I have been biting the skin around my fingers.  I used to bite my nails but managed to stop that habit.

I bite the skin until it bleeds and on my thumbs right down to my knuckles.  It is very painful and looks unsightly but I cannot stop doing it. Do you have any suggestions on why I maybe doing this and how I can stop and if there is anything I can use.

Many thanks
Related Discussions
242606_tn?1243786248
It is likely this behavior began as a means of stress/tension reduction and developed into a habit pattern. You can stop it via a combination of cognitive-behavioral therapy and perhaps medication. This Forum addresses child issues, but you should post your question in the Mental Health Forum for additional guidance.
3 Comments
Blank
341137_tn?1287308643
Hi, try putting nail biting varnish on, or piri piri.  My kids sometimes do the same, and I am so worried about all the germs that they may be transmitting to their system, that I put the varnish on and it stops them whilst its on.

Blank
A related discussion, I cant stop biting my skin was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank