Child Behavior Expert Forum
Can a hypoglycemic seizure cause personality changes after?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My 18 year old son had his first hypoglycemic seizure 2 months ago and has become aggressive, distrustful, dishonest,... lots of personality changes. Mostly angry all the time for no apparent reason. Has memory lapses and thinks everyone is lying to him. Could he still be having small seizures and this could be the problem? Or are personality changes common after a seizure? Who can we see for help? The doctor thinks it's just normal teenage stuff, but he was never like this before. suddenly thinks his dad and I hate him... We've been trying to get help for a month now and I don't know where else to try. Thank you, JLE
Conditions in which the central nervous system is involved can certainly be related to changes in mood, thinking and behavior. However, it might be more instructive to investigate the role of blood sugar levels in relation to alteration of mood and behavior. These changes definitely warrant some follow-up, both through neurology and (if pertinent) endocrinolgy. The correlation between the behavior change and the seizure activity is probably important.