Child Behavior Community
Can't get rid of LICE! HELP!!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Viewing 201-220 comments:
i have had lice for a long time i have tryed everything and my little sister has even shaved her head but it came back just the same. We have tried every thing in the book, but nothing i'm real sick and tired of it. I don't know what to do anymore im 17 almost 18 and i'm getting sick of it. I'm almost ready to bleach my blonde butt length hair white and if that doesn't work cutting it all off and my little sisters hair to!
I had lice a few years ago when i was in 8th grade, I am now going into my senior year of hgh school. When I had lice, I found out quickly and was treated night after night until the lice and nits were sparse. Eventually I got sick of how my family treated it as a burden and so i told them my head didnt itch and i was fine. Ever since my head doesnt really itch and no live lice are vsible but a few "nits" or little white balls are in my hair. If i still had lice wouldnt there be live ones? I straightened my hair everyday for 2 years and got highlights, so i thought this would kill what was left. I still find those little balls or nits though, im wondering how this is possile without live lice.
OMG.  I feel so bad for you. Especially since you have to use your boyfriend's b-day money to "delouse" yourself.  Lice is very traumatic, not cause it's going to hurt you but because of the frustration it causes. Everytime I check my 12 year old daughter's head and I find ONE lice egg every week! WTF!!  My poor little girly bursts into tears and says "I feel dirty".  I have to hug and kiss her and tell her is not her fault and that lice just love thick long straight hair.  I just can't seem to pick out every lice egg. I use a magnefying glass and everything!! I feel your pain! I've been doing this for 6 weeks.  I never see a live bug!.  Hang in there! Im going to try the Cetaphil thing and try greasy hair-doos. flat iron..etc. I did prescription Malathion twice!  my face swelled up because of the chemicals but at least my daughter tolerated it! crazy bugs!! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!
you are so not alone this.. My 9 yr old daughter is constantly getting them also.. we have tried all the shampoos and tea tree oil.. i finally had enough and shaved her head over the summer.. my poor lil princess kept having to tell people she is a girl :( she has been bak at school 3 days now and what do i find today yep lice again.. ugh i dunno what the heck to do HELP!!
I've read that lice can hold their breath for 8 hrs so you should leave the mayo on overnight. You'll have to do it a few times so you kill any new lice that hatch.
lice are horrible. We tried to get rid of them forever, what works pretty good is using a good metal comb and combing them out every night. and keep combing for a few weeks afterward. Put some conditioner and comb them out that way...www.licetokill.com worked and talks more about how we did it there. And we keep her hair in a ponytail or braids now in the morning before school and put in some hairgel to keep the lice from jumping back in. So far...knock on wood...so good. hope that helps!!

Kelly R.
for everyone struggling to get rid of them there are a couple of ways one do a mayo and egg treatment you mix mayo and eggs together and put it in the hair like a conditioner and leave in for 30 min with a hot wet towel on there then do the nix or rid and then use a tea tree shampoo and conditioner or something with peppermint in it they cant survive In any of those
Hey, try using this shampoo in a purple bottle with a white cap. I don't know the name. but mix it with baking powder and put it in your kids hair for at least thirty minutes try keeping it occupied then use a nit comb to get everything out then wash his/hers hair.
You might not want to use mayo because of salminia. But there are a bunch of different ways.
While this thread is very old, it contains a lot of useful tips.  I just wanted to post a link to a great article about myths vs facts:

http://www.ndhealth.gov/head-lice/publications/myths_and_facts.pdf

There is a good bit of inaccurate info in this thread, commonly believed ideas to be "fact" when it comes to lice.  Hopefully the article will shed some light.  For instance, lice do not (cannot) live on stuffed animals.  Lice don't "jump" from person to person.  Direct contact is necessary to spread lice.

Also, I think a good reminder is necessary that one should be cautious what they're using to treat lice.  Most CERTAINLY people shouldn't be using pesticides, or the products used on pets for fleas and ticks!  When in doubt, it's always best to consult your child's doctor.

Treating lice can be very frustrating and tedious, but there ARE ways to do it.  Good luck!
I have been battling my daughter's lice problem for eleven months now and felt hopeless after trying many over the counter products, mostly medicated shampoos that did not work. Also tried olive oil and nit picking which may work however my daughter is mixed race and has unbelievably thick curly hair mid-way down her back. Nit picking was an extremely time consuming and daunting task, especially once the infestation became very severe. I cried about it many times and often felt completely hopeless. It was nearly impossible to comb out all the eggs. I would think that I had but the stubborn things would come back.

I finally found some great tips online (I will try to locate the exact site and post it) that discussed scientific research studies on effective ways to get rid of lice. I tried two methods together and it seems to have worked. I'm not sure which method was most effective since I did both together. Here's what I did: I bought Cetaphil and lathered an ample amount all over her hair. Then I blew it dry on the HIGHEST HEAT setting. I put a shower cap on her head and let her sleep with the dried Cetaphil on her head. In the morning I washed her hair and then blew it dry again, high heat is very important. Because her hair was so thick I sectioned it off to see the eggs better and used the blow dryer as a blow torch aimed directly at the eggs and fried those suckers off!! Dead bugs were falling out of her hair. Next I flat ironed every section of her hair, again the heat is on the highest setting.
I believe we killed all the eggs and bugs the first time but just to be sure I repeated the entire process with the Cetaphil/blow-drying/flat-iron a week later. We still have to pick out all the eggs, which must be in the thousands but at least we have stopped the infestation from getting worse.

I really hope this helps, I know how dreadful lice can be and how frustrated a mother can feel but know that there is hope and this method is very cheap and effective.
I should mention that I bought a generic version of Cetaphil at Dollar General for half the price. If you don't own a flat iron, then the blow dryer on high heat should be sufficient. You can protect the scalp with tea tree oil, coconut oil or even vitamin E oil on sensitive areas. And there may be moments where your child squirms from the heat. This happens, adjust the position of the blow dryer and wave it back and forth so you don't hit one spot relentlessly. Try to reassure your child that it's necessary even if you must offer them a lolly-pop, chocolate, etc. Whatever you do don't give up at these "heated" moments. Try to be patient and do whatever it takes to keep your agenda in order, after all it's in their best interest. It's not fun and takes a strong constitution to handle a jumpy child but in the long run it's well worth it.
Cetaphil is a skin cleanser that can be found in the skin-care section of your local drug store. If you can't afford or find Cetaphil just try blow drying the hair close to the scalp where eggs are visible on high heat, as the medical reports show that blow drying alone is 98 percent effective. It helps to work under the brightest lights possible, and if you need glasses to see close up, wear them! Good luck and God bless.
Sorry to babble on so but as you can see I want this lice problem to END. Before combing out all of the dead eggs, it helps to soak the hair in a vinegar solution (one part vinegar to one part water) for two to eight hours to loosen  the glued on eggs from the hair shaft.
I read this entire list of posts last night because we are in a similar situation with my daughter.  I found a product today called "LiceFreee".  I put this stuff on her head as directed by the box.  Within 10 minutes lice were falling out of her hair, dead.  That's right, I said falling out, dead.  It claims to kill the eggs as well.  I found a few eggs that when touched simply fell out as well.  It claims that you can use the metal comb that it comes with "if desired".  We'll see.  She has long, thick curly hair almost down to her waist.  The combing was the worst for both of us.  So far, it has been a God-send.  I will continue to recheck and probably treat again every few days for the next two weeks just to be sure.  It only cost about $9 and it is a natural, non-toxic remedy.  No chemical pesticides.  the active ingredient can be found in a few products to include the spray that I used as well as a mousse and a shampoo.  You simply saturate starting at the base of the scalp on all sides and work your way up to the crown then let it air dry.  You can shampoo regularly afterward.  We're waiting to the morning for that just in case.  This is the only one we've tried so far that actually killed the lice.  With the others, like nix and rid-x, I was combing out live lice.  I hope this helps.
Totally feeling your pain.  I'm going to leave my 7 y/o soaking in tea tree oil today and see if that works.  I'm at my wits end too :-(  THOUSANDS of eggs and the little comb thingie isn't shifting them at all.
I finally read all of these posts...happy to hear I'm not alone.  I have a 6 yr old who is in kindergarten that came home with lice mid November.  It is now the end of December and we are still fighting it.  She has very thick, to her mid back, dark brown hair.  The eggs are also dark brown which makes it hard to see.  We have used all different brands for OTC lice chemicals and didn't see any change.  I was still combing out live bugs after using them.  The one thing I can say works is tea tree oil....but It must be true tea tree oil from a health food store or herb shop.  My husband bought some from Walmart for $5 ... That will not work and will make hair super greesy.  Pure tea tree oil will be around $15 for a tiny glass bottle.  I recommend that you sit in the bathroom or kitchen ( somewhere with out carpet) and pour tea tree oil on scalp and hair.  Massaging it thru the hair.  You will start to see dead lice on the floor depending on how infested they are.

So my problem isn't killing the actually lice....it's getting rid of the eggs!!!!  My daughter keep getting reinfested because her hair is so thick that if I miss just one egg it reinfest and we start the whole process over again:(. She has a bunk bed , so every night I look through her hair.  She is in the top bunk so the light is close and I can see well.  I might pick 10 eggs out one night and 3 the next.  I was washing her hair every day with tea tree oil added to shampoo and every other day we nix.  Three times now we thought it was all gone and I decided to give her head a break and didn't wash or pick thru it for 2 days and then....boom....more lice!!!s

We done it all!!!!  All stuff animals and pillows bagged up nd in our garage for a month, coat and pack back in the dryer every day, vacuuming daily every piece of floor and furinature,  washing bedding every day!!!!!  I'm going nuts and it is consuming my life.  I work at my daughters school and have spoke with the nurse.  They did fine a boy who is super infested which my daughter did sit by...so I do believe I know where she got them.  The teacher said he seems to be lice free now so not sure if my daughter is being reinvested from school or home.

We went to the herb shop today and they gave me a recipe for Paw Paw shampoo.  I spent close to $100 to get the herbs and oil it called for but if it works it's worth it.  Recipe:  10 capsules opened of Paw Paw Cell-Reg mix in to about 2 tablespoons of any shampoo. Add 7 drops of thyme essential oil and 4 drops of tea tree oil.  Lather in to dry hair and scalp.  Place shower cap on and leave in hair for 60 min.  Rinse shampoo thoroughly!!!!  Dry and comb hair with lice comb.  I hope this helps my daughter.  Also I have 2 older boys and a husband and my daughter is the only one so far who has had it.  I pray to God that this ends soon!!!!!  I thought this only happened to dirt people...guess I was proved wrong.
how long do you leave the conditioner in?
Avatar n tn
My Daughter has had head lice for 3 years almost 4!! and we did everythinggggg for her hair we tried EVERYTHING and nothing is working so we will have to sadly probably cut off her hair and buy extensions i have given up and im so tired of it...they never stop coming..
we have tried everything and for some reason she is the only one that has them......my babysitter and I are at whits end........
I'm lucky I'm not alone I really have tried everything as well I hope you girls still get on here I really need some help . I don't know what to do !! To the point where I'm so depressed & don't want to give up .! But when you tried almost everything & nothing has worked you really are lost.!!! Please please please help me out guys .!! My 3year old daughter has nits I got rid of them but 2 months later they returned.! & now I have them I have long hair & don't know if I should cut it off to the point where there not on the top but half down my hair . What I see more are nits & idk I'm just in panic mode it's so depressing & stressful.  Please anybody helllp
How to Get Rid of Lice Eggs in Hair Fast at Home.
Here have a Best Method for you  http://easyinhome.blogspot.com/2015/09/how-to-get-rid-of-lice-eggs.html
I have had lice for the past 3/4 years and can not get rid of them no matter how hard I try. I have used just about every product on the market, combed my hair for hours (it is extremely long and thick so very time consuming) and have even cut it all off twice. I am constantly scratching and often have to force myself not to do so in public so people will not become suspicious. I know it is a minor problem compared to what other people are going through, but it causes me major anxiety and worry to the point that I look at every other person and wish more than anything that I can have normal, lice free hair like them. Somebody please help me, I am at breaking point and nearly in tears while writing this.
You should go for Jungle Formula head Lice & Eggs Lotion. It kills the lice & also damages their eggs just to ensure they won't re-occur. It is really very effective. Can be used on Baby's scalp too. Just give it a try & lemme know about it over the comments.

Available online at www.safetykart.com.  
It may sound crazy but when all of the lice shampoos stopped working i bought Denorex extra strength dandruff shampoo and it works every time on my daughter! I wet her hair, apply Denorex, leave it on for 10 minutes,then rinse. Condition with a coconut and/or tea tree oil conditioner. Then do it all again a week later.
If you have a boy, just shave their heads. The lice can not live without hair.
So here it is.... A RID treatment and literally strand by strand combput with a METAL nit comb. After that, white vinegar under a shower cap also a comb out strand by strand process. And new matresses, sheets everything. These docs have no idea that these little tiny alienated mutant bugs don't die unless you literally murder them. I was having the same issue my twins (who are black don't let that fool anyone) kept on month after month getting them. My house is OCD spotless so I'm like wth took em to the doc doc said Yea you did know blacks cannot get lice right I'm like lady I seen the d*** things crawling! So I took matters into my own hands. I purchased new blankets, sheets, mattresses etc threw out all toys (they didn't play with them anyway) and while they were at school I put my gear on vacuumed (I have marble tile lol) bleached scolding hot water on everything I was determined. Haven't seen them little bastards (the lice) in quite some time. It is a pricey process if you do not want to purchase new mattresses buy the zip cover but spray the beds with bed bug spray the immediately cover to suffocate them mugs..  I mean bugs lol I do have 6 children, but only the twins were getting them. And to clear up the white vinegar, the acid in the white vinegar kills them so soak away (smells gross) wash after
I am a professional head lice & nit professional. This is what I do for a living.  Do not use over the counter lice treatments.  They are toxic to children and are being banned by the CPSC and the EPA.  You don't need to use toxic chemicals on your family to rid them of head lice and nits.  You only need something to keep the hair moist for several hours and a good lice comb (terminator lice combs are the best).  Use olive oil to completely saturate the hair and go in very small sections to remove head lice & nits.  If it's a severe case, sleep in olive oil for several days (for at least 8 hours each) because lice can hold their breath for 6 hours.  The reason most people cannot get rid of head lice is because they do not get out all the nits.  If you don't remove them they will just keep hatching over and over again.  If you have long thick hair, have someone help you.  You won't be able to do it alone.  The hair has to be sectioned in very small sections.  SKIP the lice combs from the drugstore.  The tines are not close enough together to get the nits out.  Contact me at ***@**** and ask any question you want.
I SWEAR by Licefree Spray (not the gel, not the shampoo, the spray is easier.)  I know you said that you tried Licefree but I am wondering if you saturated the hair enough.  It's physically impossible for lice to survive if they've been completely soaked in Licefree.  My children's father is remarried to a woman who has seven lice infested children.  My kids come back from his house with lice almost every time they visit him (which is every two weeks) Ever since I started using Licefreee, I've taken them to the doctor before and after treatment to verify that they had lice to begin with, and that I eradicated it with Licefreee.  When you use Licefree, you have to completely DRENCH the hair.  What I do is put a towel around my daughters shoulders,  take a small section of hair (like one inch by one inch), spray all sides of it from the scalp all the way down to the tip, until it's completely DRIPPING wet.  Move that section to the side and take another section, etc.  If you miss any of the hair, there could be a bug hiding in that one spot and it will not get soaked, so it's extremely important to soak every centimeter of her hair and scalp. Then put her to bed (on a freshly cleaned pillow and freshly washed sheets and blankets).  Lay a towel on her pillow and just let her go to sleep that way.  In the morning her hair will be dry and all of the bugs will be dead. The reason I say that's IMPOSSIBLE for lice to survive once they've been drenched in Licefreee, is because it literally ***** all the water from their bodies.  It's is non-toxic because it's NOT a poison like Rid or Nix. The reason Rid and Nix don't work is because the lice have been evolving to be able to withstand those poisons. I really doubt that lice will ever be able to develop an immunity to dehydration. Every living creature needs water and Licefree won't let them keep it inside their bodies. If you ever use Licefree and seriously drench your daughter's hair with it, you will probably notice that your fingers have "pruned" like they do if you are in the bath too long, and if you touched one of those fingers to your tongue, you'd taste salt.  Your fingers prune up that way because the Licefreee has sucked the water from your skin. It takes me about 15 minutes to fully drench each of my daughters' heads, but those lice have no chance because I make sure to get every little piece of hair and scalp.
Avatar n tn
A very informative piece of advice...... Thank you.
Water soluble Tea Tree oil! Pour it onto her hair to saturate it...I tried everything but I have never seen lice jump to get away from it as fast as tea tree!!
Where do u get this terminator comb
I had lice for about half a year once, because no matter what I did they kept coming back. Well, I decided to wait it out, and after about 4-5 months I stopped seeing them, my head stopped itching, and I haven't seen one in about 2 years.
My daughter got lice about a year ago.  Because I had no idea right away that it was lice since I'd never seen it before, by the time I did realize what it was, she had it bad and I had it too.  Her entire scalp was covered.  I tried the name brand lice treatments and looked online but they were all expensive and the store bought ones I tried left live lice and the nits were left so stuck on our hair I couldn't get them off.  I searched on line for at home solutions and came across some information about vinegar.  I came up with my own experimental solution to rid my self and my household of lice and it turned out to be my miracle solution to get rid of lice.  The next day I picked the last two nits that I had missed out of my daughters hair and they were gone.  If you're having trouble getting rid of lice, read my blog post titled "The worst thing your kids can bring home from school - LICE" at neighborhoodmommy.com.  If you follow all of the instructions and don't miss a step, the lice will be gone instantly and you can get everything you need to do it for very cheap at any dollar store.  I promise it works.  I added it to my blog just a few days ago because I want everyone to be able to get rid it so it stops spreading and the only way to do that is to spread the word when you find a solution.
I am struggling with this as well where do i get the better comb
http://blog.healthybynaturehwc.com/2015/08/24/how-to-kill-super-lice-with-essential-oils/
After months of dealing with lice, spending over $1000 on my 2 step daughters lice, we even hired a "specialist" to come into our home and get rid of it, tried all sorts of over the counter treatments and DIY treatments. We were at our wits' end when I came to the conclusion that the ONLY way we were going to get rid of it was by manually removing nits and bugs. I would spend an hour combing them and nit picking every morning and every night, then douse their hair in olive oil or vaseline and have them sleep with a shower cap. I would wash with the lice shampoo in the morning and re do everything again. I would count each nit one by one. When I started doing this they had over 150 eggs each! and several bugs, by the 5th day I was only finding 2-4 eggs and no bugs. After that I combed them and nit picked them once a week for 2 more weeks and found little to nothing. Never had to deal with lice again. So after so many months, I got rid of it in 5 DAYS by good old fashioned nit picking. Moral of the story is, stop exposing them to tons of harmful chemicals that don't work, make the sacrifice every day, yes 2 hours a day nit picking per child. But it will save you SOOOO much time and money and utter frustration it's not even funny.
I just used a medicated shampoo, then conditioner as a 2 part treatment thinking it would be successful, until.....the following evening I looked at my hair and felt movement in it and started swearing/cussing like never before. I didnt know about the conditioner. Everyday when I shower I use conditioner, but u say none at all? For how long? Why?
Try LiveMD it worked twice in my home. These little critters wont be coming back after using this!!! LiceMD has odorless poison. Also, instead of chemicals, you can use vinegar.It almost instantly gets rid of them! Sure its stinky, but it works!
OK so my family has head lice and body lice. This may sound crazy but your whole family is probably infested. We have no idea how long we have had it but you can tell if your family has it by buying this stuff called lice free spray you can get it at the dollar general and you spray it on your skin and rub then they will come out of your skin(a lot). But we can not get rid of them we have read that there is a new strain that are immune to most over the counter stuff they are called super lice and they are infesting 25 states right now so even if someone does get rid of them your kids will go back to school and get more so honestly I don't know what the USA is going to do (you may not live here but they are probably in your country two)but if someone has the same thing please respond....
There is a way to get rid of them. We got it from school kids two different times and our treatments worked both times. You don't need to shave your kid's head. They can still live in a quarter inch of hair anyway. So unless you shave them completely bald there is no use. Nothing kills the nits. So depending when you discovered your kid has lice the mother has been laying 3 to 5 eggs a day. The eggs hatch in 7 to 10 days so if you are finding a good amount of eggs keep in mind that they will be hatching at different intervals so this is why you do a treatment then a few days later you find more lice. It's not that you aren't getting rid of the live ones, it's just that new ones are hatching cause nothing kills the eggs. So this is what we do when we find lice: mix two tablespoons of shampoo with one teaspoon of essential tea tree oil and three tablespoons of coconut oil. Double or triple the ingredients as needed depending on how thick and long the hair. Smother the mixture all through the hair so that it is completely saturated and cover with a plastic shower cap and leave for 8 hours. Then shampoo and rinse hair. When dry you can check for nits and try to pull out the ones you find but you'll probably miss some cause they are hard to see. No worries just repeat treatment every 7 to 10 days until they are gone. We usually do 3 treatments. In-between treatments make sure you are washing pillow cases. You don't have to get all crazy cleaning like a psycho cause they generally can't live more than 24 hours without a host anyways. I also make up a tea tree oil and lavender oil spray and spray my kids hair every day on dry hair in-between treatments. It also is a good preventative treatment to use on hair during school year. Just buy one of those smaller spray bottles and fill it with distilled water and add about 20 to 30 drops off tea tree oil and 10 drops of lavender oil shake and spray hair. I also put tea tree oil in shampoo as a preventative. It's great for the scalp anyways and if you have any issues with demodex mited it kills them in 4 minutes when used at 50% strength. This really works. Just keep in mind you are only killing the live lice. You gotta wait for the babies to hatch before you can get the next generation if there are any nits left in the hair. That's why you repeat every 7 to 10 days.
they only live in realy clean hair dont wash it as much.
Viewing 201-220 comments: