Can't get rid of LICE! HELP!!!!!
My 3 and a half year old has been battling lice for 6 MONTHS.  We have tried RID, NIX, olive oil, Licefreee, nit-picking by hand (HA, HA, she's 3--she won't even sit still for 5 mins, let alone an hour to go through every strand of hair!!.  Every time I think they are gone, they show back up again.  My other kids are clear, and DH insists he can't find any on me (thought I'm awfully itchy--could be psychological).  Doc is not helpful, says the prescriptions available are not good for kids, (fine, but....)offers no other options, just says to pick them out by hand.  I have plastic on everything, change bedding, bagged up stuffed toys.
I finally got fed up and did a no-no--I double dosed her with RID, and then Nix in one day.  When I went to comb and pick nits, I found several LIVE lice!!!!!!  I realize now that they are resistant mutants, and the chemicals aren't working, so there is no point in continuing to expose her to the chemicals, but what can I do????  I am at my wits end, and she announces to EVERYBODY that she has "buggies" in her hair, as she scratches away.  I am MORTIFIED, and want them GONE.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!!  Thank You!
I have 3 kids and we have lice about once a year.  The only thing that works is heat.  I wash and condition my kids hair, blow dry it then flat iron it.  The blow drier burns the live ones, the flat iron cooks the eggs.  No chemicals, no lice.  Then just wash their bedding coats and hats, spray the furniture with lice spray and vacuum all the lovies go in the dryer on High heat for an hour.  A heck of a lot easier than all that gross stinky flammable shampoo stuff.  I do know people who swear by mayonaisse.  But it's easier just to cook those little suckers.  When my mom gets a an outbreak at her day care she flat irons everyones hair.  It works great and is a lot easier than the rest.
I have this lice battle many times with my kids. Looking in old books I came across with vinegar. Centuries ago they used this to kill lice and their eggs. Guess what....it works!!! After a year of trying to get rid of those horrible things the vinegar worked. Just apply white vinegar on the hair. Make sure you cover the scalp too, very well, leave it for 15 to 20 minutes and wash with a normal shampoo, then when dry, comb the hair with the lice comb to get all the eggs off. Do not leave it for more than that, Vinegar is very strong, just the smell will make your eyes watery and can make you itchy but just for a few minutes.
After having my daughter come from school with lice several times I tried the vinegar and got rid of them for almost a year. I check her head every week and this week I found lice and eggs, so I just did the vinegar treatment again and I am sure they will be gone by tomorrow and won't come back for a long time.
My kids got lice from school 3 months ago, been trying to get rid of it for weeks.  I try everything, from rid, nix, to everything I could come across. But nothing work.  Finally found a solution it was easy and cheap. I put Mayo on the kids hair left it for 2 hours, rinse it out with water, blow dry their hair,  then I took a vacuum cleaner hose using the vacuum crevice tool to their head and vacuum all the nits and dead lice out of their hair. When using mayo the nits can't attach to the hair strands that well and can be easily vacuum out. It sounds crazy but it works. But also may sure you wash all their sheets, pillows, blankets and jackets that they have worn or used.  
Hi, I have tried mayo 4 month ago but they come back and this time there are more than before. OMG, I am tired of them . I had put mayo and cover her hair with a plastic bag over night. They seems to be gone but I find out today that she has more lice than before after 4 month.! I have heard bleach will work. Do you think bleach is good. I am afraid to put bleach on her hair. WHat do you guys think?
My daughter is 5 and we went to Carowinds and when standing in line for a ride I noticed the movement in her light blond hair, Now when we came back home I put in the Nixs treatment and it seemed to kill the adults and I combed through her hair for almost 2 hours (we watched a movie so she would sit still and I used the blue comb and a paper towel to wipe off the nits(eggs). A week later she was fully infested again and a nurse friend of mine said to mix 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 mineral oil together to kill and smother and leave on the head for over 8 hours (since they can hold their breath for 8 hours) so I did this and got a shower cap and put this in at night before bed and the next morning wash her bedding and let her wash out her hair, use dish soap to pull the oil off the hair and comb thoroughly, this time I went to Sally's Beauty Supply and bought a Lice comb that is a bit bigger with smaller area b/w bristles to escape. This seemed to work better, she said to repeat every 4 days for month    to make sure every nit egg is out. Well that was two months ago and she has them again. I went and bought some hair dye and colored her hair same as it was so you can't even tell it was done.After washing it out towel dry then place on the conditioner but don't rinse that off,  Blow drying kills the nits (dries them out) but for a 5 year old it only works on warm/low, but the hotter the better. After her hair was dry I separated her hair in small pieces while she played her DS on my sink and I combed for another 2 hours and tied up her hair in little rubber bands after I combed through it. Let me say I want to SCREAM but I was soooo surprised on how many nits came out of her hair when I took my time and did it, over 60!!! in the sink, I will do this conditioner and comb through again in a few days b/c we are all tired of this. Combing on dry hair is so much better than it wet, you can see them better come off. Oh and While her hair was in like 15 different sections on her head I dabbed Tea Tree Oil throughout her while scalp. She finally stopped itching and guess what!? She was the only one in the house of 4 who had gotten them!>? How weird is that. Well, I hope all goes well and it will go away if you get them all out. Even one nit can grow to lay 100 eggs in a month. EWE!!
My daughter is 6 yrs old and has had lice a few times. I've tried the rid and everhthing but nothing worked. I talked to her doctor and they told me to use cetaphil moisturizing lotion. Just soak the hair in it take strands of hair comb thru when all combed out blow dry till you get it as dry a possible except its so oily that it won't really dry so just dry it enough to get heat through out her hair. Put her hair into maybe two braids or a french braid and put a shower cap on her head over night. Was in the morning then do the treatment again at night. Ur should all be gone. I've only had to do two treatments but it all depends on how bad it is. Good luck hope it works for you.
A lady from El Salvador told me that in her country they rinse the hair in vinegar after washing it and the lice die or go away (I don't know which). I did not try this since I do not know anyone at this time who has head lice. But my husband heard that to get rid of ants you use vinegar. So he sprayed the counter tops with a half vinegar/half water solution and the ants departed, never to return. If it works on ants I should think it would work on lice.
P.S. My friend said to always rinse with vinegar, whether or not they have lice, as the vinegar will prevent the lice from taking up residence.
Growing up my sisters and I had lice. I remember we tried everything from, mayo, all sorts of lice treatments and olive oil. But it kept coming back! As I got older I realized we can't be "living " like this. So I researched online and found this solution called Licehelp.com. It absolutely works! Its a treatment that is oil based and you leave it in your hair over night every other night for two weeks. The lice suffocate and can't live in the environment of the hair anymore so they fall out, even the nits! You don't have to comb or pick out any of the eggs or lice. It really does work! I am currently using it on my daughter because this is the second time she contacted lice from school. It worked the first time for her as well. I hope this will help everyone
It is important that you do not use conditioner before u use the medicated shampoo and not for 2 weeks afterward.  Also equally important to repeat one week later and again no conditioner for 2 weeks later.  All things that you can not wash in hot water you can put in the dryer on high heat for 45 minutes.
Try The brand Nit Attack. It's on eBay!
i have had lice for a long time i have tryed everything and my little sister has even shaved her head but it came back just the same. We have tried every thing in the book, but nothing i'm real sick and tired of it. I don't know what to do anymore im 17 almost 18 and i'm getting sick of it. I'm almost ready to bleach my blonde butt length hair white and if that doesn't work cutting it all off and my little sisters hair to!
I had lice a few years ago when i was in 8th grade, I am now going into my senior year of hgh school. When I had lice, I found out quickly and was treated night after night until the lice and nits were sparse. Eventually I got sick of how my family treated it as a burden and so i told them my head didnt itch and i was fine. Ever since my head doesnt really itch and no live lice are vsible but a few "nits" or little white balls are in my hair. If i still had lice wouldnt there be live ones? I straightened my hair everyday for 2 years and got highlights, so i thought this would kill what was left. I still find those little balls or nits though, im wondering how this is possile without live lice.
OMG.  I feel so bad for you. Especially since you have to use your boyfriend's b-day money to "delouse" yourself.  Lice is very traumatic, not cause it's going to hurt you but because of the frustration it causes. Everytime I check my 12 year old daughter's head and I find ONE lice egg every week! WTF!!  My poor little girly bursts into tears and says "I feel dirty".  I have to hug and kiss her and tell her is not her fault and that lice just love thick long straight hair.  I just can't seem to pick out every lice egg. I use a magnefying glass and everything!! I feel your pain! I've been doing this for 6 weeks.  I never see a live bug!.  Hang in there! Im going to try the Cetaphil thing and try greasy hair-doos. flat iron..etc. I did prescription Malathion twice!  my face swelled up because of the chemicals but at least my daughter tolerated it! crazy bugs!! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!
you are so not alone this.. My 9 yr old daughter is constantly getting them also.. we have tried all the shampoos and tea tree oil.. i finally had enough and shaved her head over the summer.. my poor lil princess kept having to tell people she is a girl :( she has been bak at school 3 days now and what do i find today yep lice again.. ugh i dunno what the heck to do HELP!!
I've read that lice can hold their breath for 8 hrs so you should leave the mayo on overnight. You'll have to do it a few times so you kill any new lice that hatch.
lice are horrible. We tried to get rid of them forever, what works pretty good is using a good metal comb and combing them out every night. and keep combing for a few weeks afterward. Put some conditioner and comb them out that way...www.licetokill.com worked and talks more about how we did it there. And we keep her hair in a ponytail or braids now in the morning before school and put in some hairgel to keep the lice from jumping back in. So far...knock on wood...so good. hope that helps!!

Kelly R.
for everyone struggling to get rid of them there are a couple of ways one do a mayo and egg treatment you mix mayo and eggs together and put it in the hair like a conditioner and leave in for 30 min with a hot wet towel on there then do the nix or rid and then use a tea tree shampoo and conditioner or something with peppermint in it they cant survive In any of those
Hey, try using this shampoo in a purple bottle with a white cap. I don't know the name. but mix it with baking powder and put it in your kids hair for at least thirty minutes try keeping it occupied then use a nit comb to get everything out then wash his/hers hair.
You might not want to use mayo because of salminia. But there are a bunch of different ways.
While this thread is very old, it contains a lot of useful tips.  I just wanted to post a link to a great article about myths vs facts:

http://www.ndhealth.gov/head-lice/publications/myths_and_facts.pdf

There is a good bit of inaccurate info in this thread, commonly believed ideas to be "fact" when it comes to lice.  Hopefully the article will shed some light.  For instance, lice do not (cannot) live on stuffed animals.  Lice don't "jump" from person to person.  Direct contact is necessary to spread lice.

Also, I think a good reminder is necessary that one should be cautious what they're using to treat lice.  Most CERTAINLY people shouldn't be using pesticides, or the products used on pets for fleas and ticks!  When in doubt, it's always best to consult your child's doctor.

Treating lice can be very frustrating and tedious, but there ARE ways to do it.  Good luck!
I have been battling my daughter's lice problem for eleven months now and felt hopeless after trying many over the counter products, mostly medicated shampoos that did not work. Also tried olive oil and nit picking which may work however my daughter is mixed race and has unbelievably thick curly hair mid-way down her back. Nit picking was an extremely time consuming and daunting task, especially once the infestation became very severe. I cried about it many times and often felt completely hopeless. It was nearly impossible to comb out all the eggs. I would think that I had but the stubborn things would come back.

I finally found some great tips online (I will try to locate the exact site and post it) that discussed scientific research studies on effective ways to get rid of lice. I tried two methods together and it seems to have worked. I'm not sure which method was most effective since I did both together. Here's what I did: I bought Cetaphil and lathered an ample amount all over her hair. Then I blew it dry on the HIGHEST HEAT setting. I put a shower cap on her head and let her sleep with the dried Cetaphil on her head. In the morning I washed her hair and then blew it dry again, high heat is very important. Because her hair was so thick I sectioned it off to see the eggs better and used the blow dryer as a blow torch aimed directly at the eggs and fried those suckers off!! Dead bugs were falling out of her hair. Next I flat ironed every section of her hair, again the heat is on the highest setting.
I believe we killed all the eggs and bugs the first time but just to be sure I repeated the entire process with the Cetaphil/blow-drying/flat-iron a week later. We still have to pick out all the eggs, which must be in the thousands but at least we have stopped the infestation from getting worse.

I really hope this helps, I know how dreadful lice can be and how frustrated a mother can feel but know that there is hope and this method is very cheap and effective.
I should mention that I bought a generic version of Cetaphil at Dollar General for half the price. If you don't own a flat iron, then the blow dryer on high heat should be sufficient. You can protect the scalp with tea tree oil, coconut oil or even vitamin E oil on sensitive areas. And there may be moments where your child squirms from the heat. This happens, adjust the position of the blow dryer and wave it back and forth so you don't hit one spot relentlessly. Try to reassure your child that it's necessary even if you must offer them a lolly-pop, chocolate, etc. Whatever you do don't give up at these "heated" moments. Try to be patient and do whatever it takes to keep your agenda in order, after all it's in their best interest. It's not fun and takes a strong constitution to handle a jumpy child but in the long run it's well worth it.
Cetaphil is a skin cleanser that can be found in the skin-care section of your local drug store. If you can't afford or find Cetaphil just try blow drying the hair close to the scalp where eggs are visible on high heat, as the medical reports show that blow drying alone is 98 percent effective. It helps to work under the brightest lights possible, and if you need glasses to see close up, wear them! Good luck and God bless.
Sorry to babble on so but as you can see I want this lice problem to END. Before combing out all of the dead eggs, it helps to soak the hair in a vinegar solution (one part vinegar to one part water) for two to eight hours to loosen  the glued on eggs from the hair shaft.
I read this entire list of posts last night because we are in a similar situation with my daughter.  I found a product today called "LiceFreee".  I put this stuff on her head as directed by the box.  Within 10 minutes lice were falling out of her hair, dead.  That's right, I said falling out, dead.  It claims to kill the eggs as well.  I found a few eggs that when touched simply fell out as well.  It claims that you can use the metal comb that it comes with "if desired".  We'll see.  She has long, thick curly hair almost down to her waist.  The combing was the worst for both of us.  So far, it has been a God-send.  I will continue to recheck and probably treat again every few days for the next two weeks just to be sure.  It only cost about $9 and it is a natural, non-toxic remedy.  No chemical pesticides.  the active ingredient can be found in a few products to include the spray that I used as well as a mousse and a shampoo.  You simply saturate starting at the base of the scalp on all sides and work your way up to the crown then let it air dry.  You can shampoo regularly afterward.  We're waiting to the morning for that just in case.  This is the only one we've tried so far that actually killed the lice.  With the others, like nix and rid-x, I was combing out live lice.  I hope this helps.
Totally feeling your pain.  I'm going to leave my 7 y/o soaking in tea tree oil today and see if that works.  I'm at my wits end too :-(  THOUSANDS of eggs and the little comb thingie isn't shifting them at all.
I finally read all of these posts...happy to hear I'm not alone.  I have a 6 yr old who is in kindergarten that came home with lice mid November.  It is now the end of December and we are still fighting it.  She has very thick, to her mid back, dark brown hair.  The eggs are also dark brown which makes it hard to see.  We have used all different brands for OTC lice chemicals and didn't see any change.  I was still combing out live bugs after using them.  The one thing I can say works is tea tree oil....but It must be true tea tree oil from a health food store or herb shop.  My husband bought some from Walmart for $5 ... That will not work and will make hair super greesy.  Pure tea tree oil will be around $15 for a tiny glass bottle.  I recommend that you sit in the bathroom or kitchen ( somewhere with out carpet) and pour tea tree oil on scalp and hair.  Massaging it thru the hair.  You will start to see dead lice on the floor depending on how infested they are.

So my problem isn't killing the actually lice....it's getting rid of the eggs!!!!  My daughter keep getting reinfested because her hair is so thick that if I miss just one egg it reinfest and we start the whole process over again:(. She has a bunk bed , so every night I look through her hair.  She is in the top bunk so the light is close and I can see well.  I might pick 10 eggs out one night and 3 the next.  I was washing her hair every day with tea tree oil added to shampoo and every other day we nix.  Three times now we thought it was all gone and I decided to give her head a break and didn't wash or pick thru it for 2 days and then....boom....more lice!!!s

We done it all!!!!  All stuff animals and pillows bagged up nd in our garage for a month, coat and pack back in the dryer every day, vacuuming daily every piece of floor and furinature,  washing bedding every day!!!!!  I'm going nuts and it is consuming my life.  I work at my daughters school and have spoke with the nurse.  They did fine a boy who is super infested which my daughter did sit by...so I do believe I know where she got them.  The teacher said he seems to be lice free now so not sure if my daughter is being reinvested from school or home.

We went to the herb shop today and they gave me a recipe for Paw Paw shampoo.  I spent close to $100 to get the herbs and oil it called for but if it works it's worth it.  Recipe:  10 capsules opened of Paw Paw Cell-Reg mix in to about 2 tablespoons of any shampoo. Add 7 drops of thyme essential oil and 4 drops of tea tree oil.  Lather in to dry hair and scalp.  Place shower cap on and leave in hair for 60 min.  Rinse shampoo thoroughly!!!!  Dry and comb hair with lice comb.  I hope this helps my daughter.  Also I have 2 older boys and a husband and my daughter is the only one so far who has had it.  I pray to God that this ends soon!!!!!  I thought this only happened to dirt people...guess I was proved wrong.
how long do you leave the conditioner in?
My Daughter has had head lice for 3 years almost 4!! and we did everythinggggg for her hair we tried EVERYTHING and nothing is working so we will have to sadly probably cut off her hair and buy extensions i have given up and im so tired of it...they never stop coming..
we have tried everything and for some reason she is the only one that has them......my babysitter and I are at whits end........
I'm lucky I'm not alone I really have tried everything as well I hope you girls still get on here I really need some help . I don't know what to do !! To the point where I'm so depressed & don't want to give up .! But when you tried almost everything & nothing has worked you really are lost.!!! Please please please help me out guys .!! My 3year old daughter has nits I got rid of them but 2 months later they returned.! & now I have them I have long hair & don't know if I should cut it off to the point where there not on the top but half down my hair . What I see more are nits & idk I'm just in panic mode it's so depressing & stressful.  Please anybody helllp
How to Get Rid of Lice Eggs in Hair Fast at Home.
Here have a Best Method for you  http://easyinhome.blogspot.com/2015/09/how-to-get-rid-of-lice-eggs.html
I have had lice for the past 3/4 years and can not get rid of them no matter how hard I try. I have used just about every product on the market, combed my hair for hours (it is extremely long and thick so very time consuming) and have even cut it all off twice. I am constantly scratching and often have to force myself not to do so in public so people will not become suspicious. I know it is a minor problem compared to what other people are going through, but it causes me major anxiety and worry to the point that I look at every other person and wish more than anything that I can have normal, lice free hair like them. Somebody please help me, I am at breaking point and nearly in tears while writing this.
You should go for Jungle Formula head Lice & Eggs Lotion. It kills the lice & also damages their eggs just to ensure they won't re-occur. It is really very effective. Can be used on Baby's scalp too. Just give it a try & lemme know about it over the comments.

Available online at www.safetykart.com.  
It may sound crazy but when all of the lice shampoos stopped working i bought Denorex extra strength dandruff shampoo and it works every time on my daughter! I wet her hair, apply Denorex, leave it on for 10 minutes,then rinse. Condition with a coconut and/or tea tree oil conditioner. Then do it all again a week later.
If you have a boy, just shave their heads. The lice can not live without hair.
So here it is.... A RID treatment and literally strand by strand combput with a METAL nit comb. After that, white vinegar under a shower cap also a comb out strand by strand process. And new matresses, sheets everything. These docs have no idea that these little tiny alienated mutant bugs don't die unless you literally murder them. I was having the same issue my twins (who are black don't let that fool anyone) kept on month after month getting them. My house is OCD spotless so I'm like wth took em to the doc doc said Yea you did know blacks cannot get lice right I'm like lady I seen the d*** things crawling! So I took matters into my own hands. I purchased new blankets, sheets, mattresses etc threw out all toys (they didn't play with them anyway) and while they were at school I put my gear on vacuumed (I have marble tile lol) bleached scolding hot water on everything I was determined. Haven't seen them little bastards (the lice) in quite some time. It is a pricey process if you do not want to purchase new mattresses buy the zip cover but spray the beds with bed bug spray the immediately cover to suffocate them mugs..  I mean bugs lol I do have 6 children, but only the twins were getting them. And to clear up the white vinegar, the acid in the white vinegar kills them so soak away (smells gross) wash after
I am a professional head lice & nit professional. This is what I do for a living.  Do not use over the counter lice treatments.  They are toxic to children and are being banned by the CPSC and the EPA.  You don't need to use toxic chemicals on your family to rid them of head lice and nits.  You only need something to keep the hair moist for several hours and a good lice comb (terminator lice combs are the best).  Use olive oil to completely saturate the hair and go in very small sections to remove head lice & nits.  If it's a severe case, sleep in olive oil for several days (for at least 8 hours each) because lice can hold their breath for 6 hours.  The reason most people cannot get rid of head lice is because they do not get out all the nits.  If you don't remove them they will just keep hatching over and over again.  If you have long thick hair, have someone help you.  You won't be able to do it alone.  The hair has to be sectioned in very small sections.  SKIP the lice combs from the drugstore.  The tines are not close enough together to get the nits out.  Contact me at ***@**** and ask any question you want.
A very informative piece of advice...... Thank you.
I SWEAR by Licefree Spray (not the gel, not the shampoo, the spray is easier.)  I know you said that you tried Licefree but I am wondering if you saturated the hair enough.  It's physically impossible for lice to survive if they've been completely soaked in Licefree.  My children's father is remarried to a woman who has seven lice infested children.  My kids come back from his house with lice almost every time they visit him (which is every two weeks) Ever since I started using Licefreee, I've taken them to the doctor before and after treatment to verify that they had lice to begin with, and that I eradicated it with Licefreee.  When you use Licefree, you have to completely DRENCH the hair.  What I do is put a towel around my daughters shoulders,  take a small section of hair (like one inch by one inch), spray all sides of it from the scalp all the way down to the tip, until it's completely DRIPPING wet.  Move that section to the side and take another section, etc.  If you miss any of the hair, there could be a bug hiding in that one spot and it will not get soaked, so it's extremely important to soak every centimeter of her hair and scalp. Then put her to bed (on a freshly cleaned pillow and freshly washed sheets and blankets).  Lay a towel on her pillow and just let her go to sleep that way.  In the morning her hair will be dry and all of the bugs will be dead. The reason I say that's IMPOSSIBLE for lice to survive once they've been drenched in Licefreee, is because it literally ***** all the water from their bodies.  It's is non-toxic because it's NOT a poison like Rid or Nix. The reason Rid and Nix don't work is because the lice have been evolving to be able to withstand those poisons. I really doubt that lice will ever be able to develop an immunity to dehydration. Every living creature needs water and Licefree won't let them keep it inside their bodies. If you ever use Licefree and seriously drench your daughter's hair with it, you will probably notice that your fingers have "pruned" like they do if you are in the bath too long, and if you touched one of those fingers to your tongue, you'd taste salt.  Your fingers prune up that way because the Licefreee has sucked the water from your skin. It takes me about 15 minutes to fully drench each of my daughters' heads, but those lice have no chance because I make sure to get every little piece of hair and scalp.
1