Ceiling Fans/Noises
I have a 2 1/2 year old who just recently has developed a fear of ceiling fans.  On a recent trip to Disney World, i was forced to change rooms because there was a ceiling fan in the room, he wouldn't even take a nap because of the fear.  Also, recently at a restaurant  we were forced to leave because there was a ceiling fan above us.  If we just walk by a ceiling fan he actually waves to them and says "bye ceiling fan..." but its just when we're directly under them when he's frightend.  Also, another thing that i've recently noticed is that when he hears certain things (some songs, noises etc...) he covers his ears, as if to just not hear them.  I'm very concerned with both.  Has anyone gone through any of this?  Any ideas, suggestions?  Thanks.

Alex
have his hearing checked, he may be very sensitive to some sounds.
You should bring this up with your PCP. He may have some Sensory Integration concerns. How is he with fabrics? Textures? Foods? If these are all in check then it is probably something he is trying to make sense of. Otherwise talke with PCP>
I have no advice, only my own experience. My otherwise fearless son was definitely terrified of the car wash. Anything flapping above him would send him over the edge. Including a window blind that sometimes snapped upward by itself. Only now at age 5 he is more relaxed but the fear was real and serious. There was nothing I could do except give him a hug. It may be a natural instinct just as small animals would run from the shadow of a hawk...it may only show in very sensitive children. Either way, my son outgrew it. He did have some isssues with noise of vacuum cleaners or approaching trains and he covered his ears when I was singing but it was mild. Maybe your son has some hyper-sensitivity traits. Hope you get more responses.
Thanks very much for your response.  I feel somewhat relieved to hear someone else has had similar situations.  Its my first child and everything is so new to me.  My son also has an aprehension towards loud noises such as vacumes, blenders, motorcycles, fireworks, etc... but it does seem to be getting better.  Did your child outgrow the fears?  I have had his hearing checked and they say its fine and he's fine with textures and food.  Thanks again.
He also, sometimes covers his ears when i sing to him but i figured it was just my horrible singing.
I think its just age.  My son is now 3 but I remember he was very afraid of elavators and sometimes fire siren.  So its normal as long as you see improvement.
Yes, he did outgrow the fears of the car wash by "facing the evil". Similar to your own son he used to say "bye-bye brushes" when we only came into the vicinity of a car wash. Then he loved to hang out around the car wash to see other cars being "tortured" by the spinning brushes and one day he asked me to drive in again. He also got used to me singing...at last... but a new fear is spooky shrubs and forests at nighttime. He has always had a vivid imagination - probably most kids do - so I bet none of this is unusual. Enjoy your first-born. In a way their fears are a good opportunity to show them that they are sheltered if they want.
Both my kids have gone through odd fixations and fears.  For example, my oldest was out of the blue one day terrified of men with beards.  You couldn't even say the word "beard" and she'd start to cry.  She was about 4 at the time.  Nothing happened to her (that I know of) that involved a bearded man that would have made her scared.  It just seemed to come on overnight.  It vanished just as quickly.  My younger once completely melted down when we smelled a skunk once.  He was convinced it was inside the car.  We'd smelled skunks before and even joked about them, that time though for some reason he was terrified.

I think kids developing brains sometimes "short circuit" and come up with odd fears and things like that.  I wouldn't worry about it unless he shows other problems with sensory stimulation.
Thank you all very much!!
Any other advice, help, or similar situations would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
I dont have any real advice, just a similar situation.

unlike most of the cases described here, my daughter is a TEENAGER and has some of the weirdest phobias.
first, she cannot be near ANYTHING that dangles from the ceiling. at our old house we had a ceiling fan with reallllly long pull-strings (or whatever you want to call them). whenever they'd dangle and swing around, she'd freak out. also, she's in karate and at her karate school they use punching bags that hang from the ceiling. she can't STAND it when they swing back and forth.

another weird thing is that she hates it when a lake or a pool is really wavy! she wants the water to be as still as glass and has a total meltdown when we go tubing on a lake sometimes.

i think she's slowly outgrowing these fears but isn't it kind of odd that she's a teenager and still has these fears?
Hey Alex! My 2/12 year old has the same exact fear your boy did ! Did you ever figure out what it was and how long it took him to get over it!? Thanks!