Child Too Sensitive???
I have a precious 2 year old boy.  His mother, who has BPD, and I have been seperated for almost a year, although since learning that it is possible he is autistic (after professional evaluation) I have been living back in the home for 3 months and take care of him almost 24/7 while his mother works at night and sleeps during the day.  I have a definite connection to this little boy and have a hard time believeing he is autistic.  
The other day she had the chance to read to him and rock him before putting him down for bed.  While she was reading the book to him she came across a part where the teacher was telling the student not to do something and the student began to cry.  He pointed to the child who was covering her eyes and the mother told him that the child was crying at which point he began to cry himself.  I see this as a very sensitive child who was in touch with the emotional part of the story and began to act it out.  Mom freaked out and thinks he needs therapy.  Is this normal for a child to do? or is mom over-reacting?
Hm.  Well, first, I was wondering about symptoms of autism that lead them to diagnose your son.  Can you tell us what was going on that lead you to want to have him evaluated and why they came to that conclusion?  

I will say that one of the hallmark signs of autism is lack of empathy.  The inability to "walk in someone else's shoes" is typical of an autistic child (one of the reasons they have difficulty socially).  Personally, I would take this as a good sign that he is feeling emotion.  Now, it would distress me that he related so much to that image that he cried as he may have some feelings of identifying with the boy.  Do you think your boy feels like he is always in trouble?  

I have a son with a developmental delay called sensory integration disorder.  I'm going to urge you to just google it and read about it.  Many kids with autism have sensory integration disorder as well as a secondary condition as well as some kids have sensory alone.  You've given nothing would make me think your son has sensory at this point--------  but if I had a 2 year old which is quite young and I wanted to help him, I would want to know about sensory.  In little kids, so many symptoms of this disorder and that one overlap.  Your best weapon is knowledge.  If he does have sensory integration issues, these are dealt with and a child can be helped tremendously.  And they do amazing things with autism these days.  

Now, I am so glad that you moved back.  His mother sounds like she is suffering greatly and I do hope she is seeing her psychiatrist, taking her meds, and trying to manage her mental health issues.  But this will be a life long situation of you needing to oversee what happens with this child.

If you live in the states, talk to your boy's pediatrician.  By law, early intervention is given for birth to age 3 kids.  They oversee coordinating it through an agency-------- and evaluations and services are provided free based on income.  After three, the public school system takes over.

I also want to put a bug in your ear about occupational therapy.  We do this and have had such wonderful changes because of it.  We've done various group activities and I meet families of autistic children that also do occupational therapy.  They work on various life skill things as well as social skills and behavioral issues.  Well worth looking into occupational therapy.  

Alright, good luck.  It is so hard in general being a parent and you have "extra" things on your plate.  Peace.