Child Behavior Expert Forum
Child Urninating in home

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Child Urninating in home

My four year old daughter is a bright young girl.  Her language skills are off the charts. She is loving and is generally a very respectful little girl.  She is an only child and is a bit needy, as she always wants to be the center of attention.  About three months ago, I discovered that when she is placed in time-out in her room, she has been urinating under her bed.  When we asked her about this, she said that it was an accident, but later came clean by explaining that she was angry that she had been placed in time-out, which is why she peeed under her bed.  We have not had an incident since then, until this afternoon.

I was in my closed putting some things aways and noticed a pile of clothes on the floor . As I picked up the clothes on the floor, I realized that they were soaking wet along with some of my hanging clothes.  Once I picked up the clothes, I realized that they were soaked with urine.  After speaking to my daughter, she, after some coaxing, finally told me that she had done it.  I am devastated and do not know where to turn.  She is frequently the toilet normally, with normal urination.  She does not have a bed-wetting problem, nor does she EVER urinate in her pants.  When she does this she actually pulls down her pants and pees.  I do not know where to turn.  She has recently shown some unprovoked aggression as well, so we began a reward program for appropriate behavior, but I think something more needs to be done.  I feel that there may be something psychologically going on with her, but I am not sure.  After the first incident, which was at the beginning of summer, when I was off for the summer.  I have just recently returned to work, and four days later, she is relieving herself in my clset and all over my clothes.  I am open to any advice at this point, even if it is to have her see a child psychologist.  I am at my wits end and I feel like to worst mom in the whole wide world.

respectfully,
A heart broken working mom
First, there is no need to be emotional about this. Maintain your equanimity. The behavior is clearly angry behavior. Simply tell her that her anger itself is OK, but her expression is not. Be firm about this. She is too young to be in her room for time out. You should have her sit in a chair for time out, and the chair should be in full view.