Child Behavior Community
Child digging holes in the wall.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Child digging holes in the wall.

Our 5-year-old child has some OCD components, and she has recently started digging large holes in the sheetrock of her walls while going to sleep at naptime or bedtime. Anyone had any experience managing this behavior?
have you asked her why she does this?  What does she say in response?  What symptoms of ocd does she have, if you don't mind me asking?  How does she respond if you ask her to stop digging holes in the wall?
Take her to your pediatrician.  She may need some medication to help her control her compulsions better.  In addition, I hope she is not hurting herself creating these holes.  Have the doctor check her out, and you can go from there.  Best wishes!
Just let her dig.
It sounds to me asif she has a real passion and a rare talent for vernacular hole digging for someone so young.
I started digging at 8, but didn't get started on walls till i reached my late teens. Now I travel the world visiting vernacular hole conventions.
There is a community of diggers out there and whilst to the untrained eye it might just look like a regular hole in the wall, To a vern hole enthusiast or to pro diggers like myself it's looked at as more of an art form and an expression of ones self.
Avatar n tn
Priscus, i couldn't agree with you more. I myself are one of the vernacular whole enthusiasts of which you speak of.  I am currently in the midst of producing a documentary exploring in great detail the wonder and awe in which VH's create.  As we can see from the original post  re - "child digging holes in walls" desires to explore vernacular holes are just as much a part of cognitive developement as is, learning to speak or interacting with others. It is as you say " an expression of one self, and something that should be encouraged and nutured through childhood, and never supressed. I to say - just let her dig!