Child Behavior Community
Compulsive lying & stealing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Compulsive lying & stealing

My granddaughter has been diagonised with ADHD and her meds have improved her school work dramtically.  She is 9.  For 1-2 years she has been a compulsive liar and in the past several months she has been taking money from her parents and denying it.   Can this be part of the ADHD?  I also question whether compulsive lying or pathological lying is genetic.   Her biological father had ADHD and was the biggest liar I ever new (in and out of jail).  She has not seen him since she was 1 1/2 and never lived with him .
I am wondering if ADHD is an incomplete diagnosis - I do not doubt that your daughter suffers from ADHD but I wonder if there might be another issue - as a personality or mood disorder.  All of these are to some extent inherited traits and ADHD is often co-morbid with other mental health issues.  I might suggest you post on the "ask a doctor" forum for further advice.  If there are other issues here, then your granddaughter needs to see a medical specialist in mental health issues as soon as possible.  Early intervention would be a very positive action.  I wish I could be of more help ....
We have a 21 year old son, he has been pathologically lying and stealing for many years, since he was old enough to do so.  We are dissilusioned to think this is just a phase, as we thought when he was younger.  We need suggestions from medical professionals or someone who has found any help on this topic.  We have read all of the information on this topic, and seems this is an issue with many and they do not "grow out of this"  What can we do to help him?  He is now enlisted in the Army with the hopes this will help him.  I do not think this is the answer, and am afraid of what will happen to him.  Please anyone with thoughts or suggestions, share.. Thank you
I am feeling your pain on this... I have a 9 year old son that is a compulsive liar and theft is a huge issue.  He too, has been diagnosed with ADHD in addition to Tourettes Syndrome.  I have not come to terms with his diagnosis of Tourettes.  I don't think these extreme, stressful situations are the result of this as opposed to a Behavioral Disorder.  I am looking into an alternative opinion for my son, but I would be interested in what type of answers you get from this post.  
I also feel your pain.  My son is 18 and is a compulsively lies and steals.  He also has Tourettes, ADHD, and OCD.  He psychiatrist is thinking that he might be bipolar as well.  My son is currently homeless as we can no longer cope with is lying and stealing.  I am not coping well at the moment.  Oh by the way, I have Tourettes, ADHD, and OCD and I don't lie or steal.  
My son is 10 and I thought his lying was a phase he was going through due to his age and would pass - but now he's started stealing and denying it - then throwing a huge paddy when you ask if he's lying (especially when we know the truth and try to get it out of him).  I don't know where to turn... whether I should go to the police to see if they can scare-monger him into realising the lying and thieving are not acceptable. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has managed to tackle and overcome this problem.
My twelve year old started stealing things twelve years ago.started as food ,then his best friends phone,and now has moved on to my jewlery among other things.he knows this is wrong,we even taken him to the police bt what should the next step be as its getting worse not better and i worried for the future and the quality of our family life for the other children as its getting so stresstfull.
   If you noticed a lot of the posters on this link had kids with ADHD.  And its a fairly common trait for kids with ADHD to steal cause they tend to do things without thinking about it (no filters).  If you have any questions about the possibility of ADHD feel free to post over on the ADHD forum - http://www.medhelp.org/forums/ADD---ADHD/show/175