Child Behavior Community
Constant Behavioral Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Constant Behavioral Problems

My son is currently 5 yrs old. He has been having behavioral problems for at least 2.5 years. My husband and I have a wonderful marriage, our son is the only child, but we do not spoil him. We try to have our son around a diverse group of individuals when he is in activities. My son stayed at home with me until he was 2 yrs old. and then went to daycare. When he started daycare he acquired some of the other children's behavioral attributes (biting, spitting, hitting, yelling, etc.) My husband and I decided to put him in a preschool program hoping the different types of children would help his behavior. We noticed that did not help, instead he learned how to throw tantrums. Overall he does not want to follow directions, he constantly gets in trouble for talking, not following directions, touching or hitting others, etc. He was asked at 4 not to return to one school, and was put out of another. Now in a new school and older, again he is doing this same behavior. We have tried every discipline method available, but he returns to the same behavior within minutes of being disciplined.

Key factors: Born with Congenital Hypothyroidism-not taking any meds currently. We were told he is very intelligent, learns easily, advanced
He only shows "aggressive behavior while in school, not when playing with children outside of school or in after school activities.

We have tried to get him evaluated or tested for behavioral or other issues, but when giving an overview to providers over the phone, we were told he is very stubborn and do not fit any other criteria, so it is hard to get him evaluated. Was also briefly evaluated by his pediatrician who has seen him since birth, also concur with the theory of severe stubborness.

In summary, any suggestions in helping with his behavioral problems?
Is there a reason he's not being treated for Congenital Hypothyroidism?  

Are you sure that's a correct diagnosis?  His behavior is the opposite of what would be expected,  especially the line that  he is very intelligent and learns easily.  

Can you have him reevaluated? I'm confused by people who say, over the phone never having met him,  that he's stubborn.  

In my experience,  you can just call and make an appointment based on your difficulties with him and no one would turn you away for an initial evaluation.

Best wishes.
He is not being treated for the Hypothyroidism because his thyroid is functioning properly at this point. He took the medicine until he no longer needed it. The physician felt it may have been transitional hypothyroidism.
I would take him in and get him evaluated. I don't believe people can do that over the phone if they have never met the child. Make him an appointment asap and get him checked out. It could be something bigger making him act out. Good luck.