Child Behavior Expert Forum
Constipation

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Constipation

I had to take my 8 year old daughter to the emergency room 2 days ago for severe stomach pains on her right side. As it turns out she had about 15 inches of stool in there when they did an x-ray. she was given an enema and I would say about 6 inches came out. She has always had a problem going but I did not realize to this extent. She also wets the bed every night and some during the day, in the x-ray the stool was pressing on her bladder. My questions are how can we get all of the stool that is way up in there out so she can hopefully start going normally (the enema only got the stool that was closest to the anus out)? Also do you think all of the stool pressing on her bladder could be the cause of her wetting at night and during the day? The person in the emergency room said that was a good possibility, since she has had several tests done and taken many things to stop the wetting. Any help would be appreciated she is so upset she thinks she has so many problems and they will never go away...
You should arrange a follow-up with her pediatrician, who will place her on a regimen of laxative and stool softeners to clean out this impacted bowel. This condition is the most frequent cause of soiling in children, and it is a contributing factor to some enuresis as well. You'll only know the possible benefit re: the enuresis when she is cleaned out. Do not, however, try to do this without medical guidance. The regimen will be effective, but it's not something to pursue on your own.
one question is your child on Adderol?? I am curious because those are the same problems my daughter had for the 2 years she was on adderol until we finally gave up. She tried other ADHD meds that didn't work out for one reason or another, but the biggest problem was the constipation and bed wetting. Once of the meds she has been fine every since.