Child Behavior Expert Forum
Conversion Disorder

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Conversion Disorder

My son was originally diagnosed with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome in July 2003 and it has now developed into a  Conversion Disorder and is presently in Long Island Jewish Hillside Adolescent Psychiatric Hospital. He has been tested extensively to rule out any physical condition. At present his symptons include; intractable pain on left side which has spread from his toe to  his waist, and the inability to bear weight on left leg without screaming in pain for the last six months. these symptoms have stemmed from two minor toe injuries.  He is now taking zoloft, Kolapin, and Risperdol.
My concern is that after having him admitted to two previous hospitals (Columbia Children's Hospital and St. Mary's Rehabilitation in New York) for a two month period, is a pschiatric hospital the best place for him?  
Where is the best traetment facility for my twelve year old son?
Could you refer me to any doctors and/or other resourses for this disoder?
Conversion Disorders in children and teens can be difficult to discern. It is not as if the child is pretending there is pain - there actually is pain, but there is no medical reason to explain the pain. The key is to be sure that all medical explanations have been ruled out and that all specialists are concurring in the diagnosis of Conversion Disorder. If the diagnosis is accurate, your son is in the type of facility he requires. But be sure to obtain second (and even third) opinions.
Perhaps (while waiting for the response) you could fill in a little more info such as your family situation...divorced? happily married? other children in the family, any issues other than this, such as bedwetting, aggression, unusually shy child, etc? How do you react when he is crying out in pain?

It may help the therapist formulate a response.

You have my thoughts and prayers--what an ordeal to go through.    I hope the therapist comes up with some ideas for you.