Child Behavior Community
Crying at school

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Crying at school

Here it goes my son will be 6 in 2 weeks, he is in kindergarten. He has never been in preschool or day care. Well, when school first started he was fine he cried a little the first day of school, but he was fine the rest of the day. He had friends, he has a great teacher. She said he is one of the top kids in her class this year. He got sick about a month ago so he got to stay home from school for 2 days. He went back and his teacher was gone for 2-3 days, and they added some kids to his class. He had a friend in his class, and I think he was mean to him a few times(pushing him down & throwing his coat at him at recess). Every since then he has been crying at school. He will cry from the time we drop him off till after recess. After then they say he gets better. I feel so bad his teacher is trying everything I can tell she don't want to give up on him. I am so worried she will, this has been going on for 2 weeks. The kids are nice to him in his class, I went and stayed with him threw lunch yesterday hoping that would help. The school called less than an hour later telling me he was screaming and crying so bad the other classes could hear him. They wanted me to know they were gonna put him in ISS hopeing he would calm down and want to go back to his class. They have tried putting him in other classes for a little bit, I guess hopeing it was the teacher or students, and the crying got worse. All he will tell the teachers is " I can't stop crying, & I can't take it anymore!" I have no idea where he even heard he can't take it anymore. They are wanting him to talk to the school counselor, but she will be gone till next week. I am feeling so clueless on what else to do. Everytime the school calls, I don't know what to say or do. My son is very shy, so he don't have a lot of friends, that he plays with. But the kids are nice to him, He started crying this morning when my husband dropped him off, sayng he remembered when that kid was mean to him. My husband told him that he appologized and he hasn't been mean to him since. If my husband didnt' have to work he would've stayed. He could hear him screaming down the hall as he was leaving. I need some advice, help or support. I REALLY AM LOST!
Tags: school, Crying, screaming, friends
You have to empathize with kids who are trying not to cry and just can't hold back the tears.  That's not what is happening here,  though,  your child is screaming.    He's not putting any effort at all into not crying,  in fact,  he's putting significant effort into screaming.

I think talking to the school counselor is a great idea.  
My 5 year old started Kindergarten this year and cried and screamed for about 9 or 10 weeks when I would drop her off.  She was fine most of the time after I left but at drop off would cry and scream.  She has definatly improved and now most mornings goes in without a hitch. She did talk to the counselor some but not much.  All my mom kept telling me was be patient and not talk so much to her about it.  I always bugged her a kept trying to find out the problem instead of just ignoring it.  Now, also, my kid didn't have issues with other kids being mean to her.  that could be the problem.
Hi, my son is almost 6 and in his first year of school. He cried when I dropped him off and just for no reason during class time. I felt sorry for him and I think the teacher did as well and he got lots of special attention. One day it clicked for me that if he cries he gets more cuddles from me and then from the teacher, then the teacher would let him do things like sit next to her on the mat until he settled down. Once I relised this I asked the teacher when my son wasnt around, to not give him any special attention anymore, infact he would be threatened to have his name put on the board as this is what happens when children are misbihaving. My son never liked his name going on the board so he tried so hard to not cry. Well he no longer cried for school. Any way this might help or it might not but Good Luck!!
Thank you very much I was so hopeing I would hear from someone. I will keep hope that this will end soon. He is getting worse though when my husband drop shim off. We are trying to find some after school activites for him to do with a lot of other kids. Me and my husband are hopeing that will help him gain more self-confidence, and help him gain "kid-skills", so he wont be so nervous around a lot of kids. Also we are trying to think of after school activites he could do, where we drop him off, so we wouldn't be there. Trying to see what will help and what we will find out. If you have any idea's on anything like that Please let me know. Thank You Very Much!
Hi again, just thinking about you placing your son in outer school activities. I would probably wait until he starts to settle around the children at school first, maybe invite some of them over for a play, so he is seeing them out of school as well and they are in his environment. I tried my son in swimming lessons and he didnt deal with it that well. He had so much to deal with at school and them placing him in a new activity was too much for him to deal with at one time. Anyway this was the advice they gave me at the pool by the instructers, they say they see it all the time with kids starting school. My daughter has always had low self confidence. She is 9 now and only just now has the confidence to do outer school activities. There is no way that in her first grade she would have stayed anywhere without me. And she never cried at school.
Anyway maybe just see how your son goes with it, he might be the oppisite and be fine with it but dont push him to far. He will then be a nervous wreck. My suggestion is to work on getting him to settle at school first. Good Luck and best wishes.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Tomorrow if he cries he should get to talk to th school counselor for the first time. me and my husband just found out he might be able to get into a basketball team, my husband wants to try to coach the team so he will be there for him. If someting happens and he can't, we will probabley wait till he handles it better. I would've never have looked at it that way thank you, I need all the luck I can get. :)
Best of luck with the basketball team that sounds wonderful!!!
Hows you son going now?