Child Behavior Expert Forum
Dad worried about 23 month old son

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Dad worried about 23 month old son

The head of the daycare asked my wife to have our 23 month to be evaluted by his dr. She stated that he has been distance from the other childern at daycare( if they are playing itsy bitsy spider he will walk away and play himself),She said she has to repeat herself when giving him directions and she seen him a couple times playing with hands which caused her concern . At home he plays with 8 & 11 yr brothers he talking , walking and he has reached all the milestones for a 23 month old except he not using two-word sentences.He is not distance at home at all but sometimes he will ignore you if you call his name I will admit my son is very spoiled and stubborn so I don't know if there is a real problem or it's him being himself .I 'm going have him checked out ASAP I'm worried about autism I keep hearing about toddlers getting it around his age
You are doing the correct thing by having your son evaluated; this demonstrates your cooperation with the school. However, nothing you indicated would lead to a concern about an autistic disorder. He's not quite two years old, and overall it sounds like he's progressing well. All children display some unevenness in development - that is, not all areas of development proceed at the same pace.
Thank you Dr. Kennedy for your opinion my wife took him to his pediatrician today he checked him out and he stated he doesn't believe it he has austim and if he had it  it's very mild. He told my wife that he is a not expert in child development he gave us a referral for a specialist for our son to be  evaluted. I agree with you my wife told the dr. that our son only says 20 words when he can say between 50-60 works. yesterday I did a test with him I asked him to pass me the phone and he walked over the table pick up the and gave it to me. later I told him to put a piece paper in the trash can and he walked from the tv room into kitchen opened thrash can and placed in the can. My mother keeps telling me nothing is wrong with him my son is just stubborn and he gets his way all the time with my wife. But I will make a appointment have him evaluted to sure nothing is wrong thank you again.