Defiant 9 year old
I am really at my wits end with my youngest son. He was diagnosed with ADD before the 2009 school year began and has been on meds since then.  Not long after being in third grade, he was hiding papers from us, not doing homework, not doing class work, and if the papers came home-he would hide them throughout his room.  He has been in trouble many times for this and it never stopped the entire year.  Then, he has a terrible habit of after everyone has went to bed, he sneaks in the pantry to indulge in snacks that are meant for all the kids...not just him.  He received desert after dinner every night but that just isnt enough for him.  Now, he will completely totally lie to your face...if he thinks he has hidden the truth well enough, he will lie till he is busted.  Nothing we have done is helping.  He thinks me and my husband are mean because he is always having things taken away from him.  We have tried spankings...they were a joke.  He could care less.  Then we did room restriction...that is now something he LOOKS forward to it seems.  I just dont know what else to do.  Where do we go from here???  
    I think that it would be really worth your time to get, "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley.  (Amazon carries it)  Meds alone are not the answer to the problems a child has with ADHD.  The whole way you discipline, do schoolwork, etc have to also change.  The book lists all kinds of way to help you and your child at home, in school, socially, etc.
   School wise, does he have a IEP or a 504 yet?  If not, that is one of the first things you need to do for next year.  It sounds like his teacher was either not aware he had ADHD or didn't know how to handle a child with ADHD because the problems you mentioned should have been dealt with.  That's the major reason for the 504/IEP.  Once again, the book gives more detail on these.
  The way you go from here is to get more information.  There really is a lot you can do for discipline, but you need to understand how the ADHD child reacts and thinks to make discipline effective.  So get the book - or something like it - there really is a ton of stuff that you can do.  Best wishes!