Child Behavior Expert Forum
Depakote-Seizures and Mood Swings?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Depakote-Seizures and Mood Swings?

My 16 year old daughter has severe depression and mood swings.  She also has
  ADD and anxiety.  At this time she is taking Prozac for the depression.  Her
  was discontinued due to problems with her thyroid.  That left her with taking
  only the Prozac and the Tenex.  For several months I have been unable to get
  her to take her medications regularly.  She says they make her tired and
  sleepy.  Her mood swings have gotten really bad, so I told her to tell the doctor
  at her last visit and she did.  He took her off the tenex and added Depakote.
  I filled her prescription and since ther was no paper telling anything about the
  medication, I did some research and found out that Depakote is an anti-convulsive
  drug.  Why was this prescribed for mood swings?  I was not told by her doctor to do
  periodic blood work, but as a person who suffers from a Seizure Disorder, I know
  that this is an important part of seizure medication.  Should I refuse to
  let her take this medicine?  What are the side effects?  She has had a few episodes
  of dizziness and has only been on the medicine from wednesday night.  Please advise
  me about this situation.  I am very afraid for her to take this medicine.  I know
  first hand what seizure medication can do to you because I take 500 mg. of Dilantin
  per day and still have a few light break through seizures.  Is it possible that
  Depakote has other uses other than anti-convulsant?  Why can I not find it in
  any of my drug books?  Thank You.