Discipline for the Instant Gratification Child
My  4 1/2 year old daughter has some challenges such as low tone and sensory issues; however, the biggest challenge for my wife and me is her strong innate desire for instant gratification.  Whether it comes to food, play or anything else, our daughter seems to select options that give her gratification at the moment.  For instance, she will chew each piece of gum in a pack (in succession) rather than save some for later.  When it comes to discipline, my wife and I have resorted to physical punishments in life threatening situations -- like teaching her she cannot run out into traffic -- because that is the only kind that gets results.  How do we help her move past this stage and into a place where we can employ more positive forms of discipline and teaching?
Keep a hold of her in Traffic, you dont say what physical punishments? Does it really matter if she chews Gum any way she wants to chew gum how does if affect you?I fit is a problem dont buy the gum get her some other treat.Why cant she have her own options, does it have to be the way you want it.