Child Behavior Community
Disruptive/Defiant Behavior at Kindergarten

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 5 year old grandson is attending Kindergarten.  He is disruptive during class activities as well as lunch and quiet (nap) time.  He refuses to follow directions, yells at the teacher, and tells them "You can't tell me what to do!"  His mother is single and in the military.  His father has never been in the picture.  His behavior at home is less disruptive.  There are no siblings in the home (Just mom and him).  He was suspended from a military preschool for these types of behavior, but the behavior has increased since he began kindergarten.  Academically he is very well prepared for Kindergarten.  The principal called today to ask my daughter to pick him up because of his behavior and suggested he is not ready for kindergarten.   We would like some direction as to what we can do to help him be less disruptive and more in control of his behavior.