Child Behavior Expert Forum
Disturbing drawing by my 6yr old

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Disturbing drawing by my 6yr old
My six year old drew a picture of a gun and an arrow pointing at me. The picture says shooting at, with an arrow to the picture of mom(me) . He said he was mad at me because i yell at him. Is this a warning of a mental illness or normal,behavior for a mad 6yr old? I was shocked. My son has always been so loving..PLEASE HELP!
Children often express themselves through their play, including through drawings. This is a normal thing - it is not a sign of instability in an otherwise average child who is developing in a normal fashion.
Thank you for responding. I really appreciate it. I have never seen my son act out with mean behavior, hurt animals, mean drawings so this shocked me. I have asked others what they thought and people act like this is a major warning sign as if hes going to be the next serial killer. It is upsetting because im not trying to ignore it if it is serious, however, I have never seen a mean side of him. He told me he drew it because he was mad at me. Have u seen a 6yr old child draw a picture shooting their mom because they are mad???
Yes, absolutely