Child Behavior Community
Do kids bite themselves

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Do kids bite themselves

My youngest daughter was bitten at daycare about a week ago.When my husband and I asked one of the owners he immediately told us he has seen our daughter bite herself.I got the same repsonse when I talked to his wife,but I then asked why they didn't call us and she didn't say.
so now my question is do 1yr old kids really bite themselves?
Look at the teeth in the  bite mark.  Does it match her mouth?  Like,  if you could position the arm in her mouth,  is that the way the teeth would lie - with the top teeth where they would be and the bottom teeth?

Was the bite on the inside part of her arm,  or the outside where she actually couldn't have bitten there?

Yes,  kids bite themselves.  For self-stimulation or in frustration,  or older children (older than your daughter) bite themselves to get other kids in trouble.

Just look at the bite,  and think of the position of the mouths and see if it's possible.
I agree with Rock Rose. And, sometimes little ones bite themselves because they are teething. But, I would check the bite just to make sure it seems plausible that she did it herself.
We did do that and it didn't match her teeth pattern. It was on the outside of her left arm.We also noticed that she had a bite mark on her left shoulder,but were never told about it.
We have never seen her bite herself either.So could there be something in her daycare environment that would cause her to do that ?
I would take her out of that daycare.  She's been bitten twice by other kids,  and the daycare owner is quick to cover it up.  If you can see a bite mark on her when you pick her up,  you know she SCREAMED when it happened,  and this guy is covering for her being bitten by another child twice.

Best wishes.
When kids bite themselves it is usually around the bottom of their arms (like at the cuff of the sleeve area) but not on their shoulder. That would take some doing to even do. I agree with RockRose, I would take your little one out of the daycare.
Thx for your answers I took both my girls outta that daycare and now have them at home with me.
I do daycare out of my home and I currently have a 2 year old boy who bites him self on his left hand.  He leaves deep impressions of teeth marks on his hand.  He isn't mad when doing this.  He does it mostly when he is doing relaxing thing like watching tv,reading book,rocking and at center time.  It kinda reminds me of a little girl chewing on her hair.
I do daycare out of my home and I currently have a 2 year old boy who bites him self on his left hand.  He leaves deep impressions of teeth marks on his hand.  He isn't mad when doing this.  He does it mostly when he is doing relaxing thing like watching tv,reading book,rocking and at center time.