Child Behavior Expert Forum
Does intelligence play a factor in behavioral problems?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My three year old boy is extremely violent (biting, hitting, kicking, screaming)when he gets angry. He also has been asked to leave a number of childcare facilities due to this behavior, that seems to be getting worse instead of better. This behavior has necessitated the help of a therapist, whom of which we see once a week.
I have noticed through reading the other postings that a number of parents whose children are also experiencing behavioral problems, have often stated that their children have progressed rapidly in speech, motor skills, and comprehension. My question is this - Is aggressive behavior related to rapid developement/ high intelligence? Or are we (the parents) mistakenly thinking that our children are developing rapidly, when they are really developing normally?  
Also, my (only) child has stated that he does not like to be around other children (ie: childcare situations)and that I notice most of his truly violent episodes usually occur in an extremely stimulating environment such as the store. While there are episodes at home, could these be triggered by an overstimulation of some sort?

Thank you for your time,
eff

There is no evidence of a relationship between advanced cognitive development (or other areas of development) and problems with aggression (or, for that matter, other behavioral problems). Parents are not always the best judge of the pace or status of their children's development. As you suggest, sometimes what might appear to be precocious development is actually very much within the average range.

Some children who display forms of sensory integration difficulties can be overwhelmed by excessive noise, movement, etc., and in turn become disorganized, even aggressive. A couple of possibilities to investigate are (a) an evaluation by an occupational therapist to see if your child does manifest sensory integration problems, and (b) evaluation by a pediatric mental health professional to consider (even though it really is difficult to diagnose in a pre-schooler) the possibility of a childhood onset mood disorder (the chances of this increase if there is a family history of mood disorder - i.e., depressive disorder or bipolar disorder).
I have a 4yr old daughter who keeps kicking, screaming, and biting people at the nursery.  I really don't know what to do.  Are there schools out there to deal with these problems?  What should I do?  I don't won't any drugs pescribed for her that is why I am afraid to take her to a counselor.  Is there any other alternative solutions?