Child Behavior Community
Don't Know What Is Wrong

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Don't Know What Is Wrong

I have two young sons that are 2 years old and 11 months old, my 2 year old doesn't say very many words. He has serve behavioral issues such as biting, hiting, kicking other children and adults. He has had several ear infections and we have discovered that he has severe hearing loss in both ears and will be having surgery in May to have tubes put in his ears. I am hoping that maybe the tubes will immediately help with his hearing, speech and the behavioral issues will get better. His doesnt have any signs of autism but I have been told that he may need to see a behavioral specialist. He has been kicked out of two daycares in two years because of his behavioral issues. Any suggestions or anything would be helpful. I do not want this behavior to continue and would like for it to end before he gets older....
Biting, kicking, and such are normal behavior in a 2 year old... because it's an easy way to say "I'm angry" or "that's mine" etc.  Daycares usually don't accept the behavior though because it puts other children in harm and they have to keep the peace.   I'm sure he'll grow out of it but in the meantime, the best thing to do is try to show him how to be angry or upset without hurting.  Also, try to watch for signals that he's going to do something - for example, if he's tired and getting cranky it is probably time to go or if another child is coming to take his toy, move him to something else or pick him up and move him.  Avoid the situation, we all have to do this until our little ones can learn how to communicate.  And I agree, his hearing is probably a big reason why he's acting out.  He can't easily communicate how he feels and he can't understand others' as well so it must be very difficult.  

Try a babysitter who can give him the one on one attention.  Maybe that would be a better option than a daycare at this point.  

I don't know if he can hear very well at all but have you thought about teaching him simple sign language?  It seems to work wonders even for children who can talk and hear just fine.  

I'm sure things will work out, my 4 yr old daughter went through it too when she was very little but she's as sweet as can be now.   Big Hugs, things will get better :)
Also, my daughter used to hit and kick adults too as well as other kids... big temper tantrums and all... I didn't know what to do but she grew out of it.  I just had to catch her before she did it.  And apologized a lot :)