Ear rubbing
I had the same symptoms as the child posted in the thread.  I am 36 and it is as strong a habit as when I was 5.  Can you explain this strange habit and how it might have derived?

This discussion is related to Ear Rubbing.
Not sure that I can really help you...but when children do a repetitive thing over and over again, it is often something that comforts them.  I'm not sure about ear rubbing, but sometimes when children tug on their ears (usually babies) it can sometimes be because they have an ear infection.

Is this something that it really affecting your quality of life?  Or is it something you do that it not often noticed by others?  If it is really bothering you that much, then you might want to visit a therapist to help you further explore why this is occurring.  
I have no answers b/c I do the same thing...and I'm 32 year old lawyer:)  For as long as I can remember I've rubbed other people's ears.  My dad, my cousin, whoever in the family would sit through it (my mom and sister wouldn't let me come near their ears).  In a strange way, rubbing soft squishy ear lobes has a calming effect.  Although I don't do it as much as I did as a child, I thank god I have a husband who doesn't mind this weird idosyncrasy.
I feel like I'm in "Rubbing Ears Annonymous", lol. I am 24 and have done this for as long as I can remember, and always have been curious why I have this strong habbit that I cannot seem to break. Glad to know their are others....
my lil Girl loves to Rub Ears.. It started when she was 3. At first i thought it was an ear infection and had her looked at ,nope not that . Then other parents started noting and urged me to bring her again. I knew better thou because she liked rubbing mine too. I was worried maybe she was lacking affection, i was wrong. She simply enjoys it. It was so funny one day we caught her rubbing both her ears and sucking her bottom lip. Makes for great photo opps lol..She still a year latter does it. Frankly i love it, sometimes it can be aggravating to me because i have to bend down or get uncomfortable for her. but other times i miss it. She also rubs my arms and cheeks. About a week ago she came to work with me and i was interviewing some folks for a position in my Health Club. She walked up to me in the middle onf the interview and i knew what she wanted so slouched without a 2ed thought and she grabbed my ear lobe. The interview started giggling and we had a great laugh over it. The most important thing to our family is that she is comfortable and confident in herself. For her this helps. <3 you baby girl!!!
Wow I also do this. I am 25 and have done it as long as I can remember. As I've gotten older I try to fight the urge. Always wondered why I do it. Didn't realize there were actually other people out there that did this. Makes me feel a little better :)
You'd be surprised how many little quirks the human race has in common.  I'd imagine you did it as a child to self soothe, relax.  Then it became habit and is now involuntary.   Don't feel odd though.  So many people do this and that and feel alone with it when in reality, everyone has 'something' that they do.  

good luck to you
I'm 34 and still rub ears (as I did as a child) and am very relieved to hear I am not the only one. I tend to do it when my hands are hot (ears have to be cold!)
can't believe really that I am not the only one doing this over and over. But I do this only to people that I care about, I mastered it, now I know the structure of ear for each person. :)
Did you know that rubbing the opposite ear and then the other opposite ear will relieve a stiff neck? I have been doing a lot of ear rubbing lately for that reason.
I have a grand child who has been rubbing her ear lobes as a newborn. Her father also rubbed his as a newborn. Is this a self taught method of self gratification i.e. stress relefer, that may lead to other things such as masterbation as one gets older?
I am so shocked that their are ear rubbers out there too ! I used to suck my thumb and play with my dads ears all the time I quit sucking my thumb but still rub ears only my boyfriends and sons ears. I have always wondered about this qwerk .
My 51 year old engineer husband touches the ears of me and our children. It started when he was 3 or 4 and saw another boy touching ears in the doctor's waiting room. Our younger son (17) also touches ears, he says it's for comfort, but also sometimes "clicks" them LOL When he was young it could be uncomfortable to maneuver my head to a place where he could reach my ears and inconvenient at times but most of the time I take it as a sign of affection.
My little girl loves to rub my ear lobes,and my son rubs my elbows...  im not sure if i should let them, but it comforts them a lot... Im trying to find out if theres any meaning why my kids sometimes rub my ear lobes or elbows for comfort. I love my kids so i dont mind it, but i dont want them to develop any bad habits or something.
haha ! thats interesting. I was searching through internet if i have some problem or a disorder. However, i don't want to think about it now and just keep on enjoying rubbing my ears. Its comfy :)
omg yeeeesssss.. i started doing this as a kid, i wouldn't drink my bottle unless i got to play with my mum's ear and i still randomly do it.
for me the point is to play with the ear until it's warm, so it should be cold to start with and once it's warm then i don't want it anymore :p
it's so wonderful to know you guys exist! :D
Not gonna lie, I do the same thing. I've been doing it since childhood too. And it seems to be a affectionate thing that I only do to certain people. It used to be my grandfather. But now it's my little brother and girlfriend. Weird right? I play with my chin alot too, for some reason it clears my mind
I did a search on this because I have a student in my class that does this ALL DAY LONG! and it drives me crazy!!! I'm constantly telling him to stop. He doesn't rub his ear lobe...he folds his ear in or just flicks them back and forth...as long as he's touching them he's fine. I guess I won't get onto him anymore, since I see that it's a (somewhat) common fettish. Oh well.....  :)
I'm 33 year old wife and mother of 6 and I love to rub cold ears! I have done this for as long as I can remember. I have never met anyone else who does it. When I was a child, I would rub a cold ear and sick my thumb. I didn't care if it was my ear, or someone else's, as long as it's COLD! I love the feeling of a soft cold ear still to this day, I ditched the thumb at 11.
i do the same damn thing. I love cold ears. i used to suck my thumb too! but stopped when I was 12.
Feel loved!  My husband puts up with it but doesn't really like me rubbing his ears.  I have done the same thing as a child and still do it at 40 yrs old.  I loved when my kids were babies and I could rub their soft little ears.  Now they like it though and will actually ask me to do it,,,oh what have I done to those poor little guys.
I love this post!  Rubbing earlobes is the most enjoyable thing!  I've always done this and when I don't have a child or bf to do it to, my cat always allows me hahahahaha.
I am 24 and have been playing with my ears since I was a baby. I love rubbing my own ears or my girlfriend's ears whenever she's around. The cartilage in my ears has been worn away over the years. Cold ears are by far the best! I also play with my cats ears when they are around. I've always thought that I was the only one that gets a calming sensation from rubbing ears!
I'M 36 and now and then get tempted to grab an earloab lol..done it as a baby and uncles and aunties would ask mum and dad why I done it lol ...it's not a big deal and children grow oit of it and it comes from being held as a baby as it's just something to grab and comforts babys ..adults who do this have known to be caring types of people who love to be around people