Child Behavior Community
Ear rubbing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Ear rubbing

I had the same symptoms as the child posted in the thread.  I am 36 and it is as strong a habit as when I was 5.  Can you explain this strange habit and how it might have derived?

This discussion is related to Ear Rubbing.
Not sure that I can really help you...but when children do a repetitive thing over and over again, it is often something that comforts them.  I'm not sure about ear rubbing, but sometimes when children tug on their ears (usually babies) it can sometimes be because they have an ear infection.

Is this something that it really affecting your quality of life?  Or is it something you do that it not often noticed by others?  If it is really bothering you that much, then you might want to visit a therapist to help you further explore why this is occurring.  
I have no answers b/c I do the same thing...and I'm 32 year old lawyer:)  For as long as I can remember I've rubbed other people's ears.  My dad, my cousin, whoever in the family would sit through it (my mom and sister wouldn't let me come near their ears).  In a strange way, rubbing soft squishy ear lobes has a calming effect.  Although I don't do it as much as I did as a child, I thank god I have a husband who doesn't mind this weird idosyncrasy.
I feel like I'm in "Rubbing Ears Annonymous", lol. I am 24 and have done this for as long as I can remember, and always have been curious why I have this strong habbit that I cannot seem to break. Glad to know their are others....
my lil Girl loves to Rub Ears.. It started when she was 3. At first i thought it was an ear infection and had her looked at ,nope not that . Then other parents started noting and urged me to bring her again. I knew better thou because she liked rubbing mine too. I was worried maybe she was lacking affection, i was wrong. She simply enjoys it. It was so funny one day we caught her rubbing both her ears and sucking her bottom lip. Makes for great photo opps lol..She still a year latter does it. Frankly i love it, sometimes it can be aggravating to me because i have to bend down or get uncomfortable for her. but other times i miss it. She also rubs my arms and cheeks. About a week ago she came to work with me and i was interviewing some folks for a position in my Health Club. She walked up to me in the middle onf the interview and i knew what she wanted so slouched without a 2ed thought and she grabbed my ear lobe. The interview started giggling and we had a great laugh over it. The most important thing to our family is that she is comfortable and confident in herself. For her this helps. <3 you baby girl!!!
Wow I also do this. I am 25 and have done it as long as I can remember. As I've gotten older I try to fight the urge. Always wondered why I do it. Didn't realize there were actually other people out there that did this. Makes me feel a little better :)
You'd be surprised how many little quirks the human race has in common.  I'd imagine you did it as a child to self soothe, relax.  Then it became habit and is now involuntary.   Don't feel odd though.  So many people do this and that and feel alone with it when in reality, everyone has 'something' that they do.  

good luck to you
I'm 34 and still rub ears (as I did as a child) and am very relieved to hear I am not the only one. I tend to do it when my hands are hot (ears have to be cold!)
can't believe really that I am not the only one doing this over and over. But I do this only to people that I care about, I mastered it, now I know the structure of ear for each person. :)
Did you know that rubbing the opposite ear and then the other opposite ear will relieve a stiff neck? I have been doing a lot of ear rubbing lately for that reason.