Child Behavior Expert Forum
Eating Disorder in a 2 1/2 year old.

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Eating Disorder in a 2 1/2 year old.

My son was full term normal delivery.  My son has been in speech and occupational therapy for a year.  We have worked on speech and SI.  He has never chewed any kind of food.  My son has never eaten cheerios, cookies, NOTHING but yogurt, apple sauce, Gerber baby stage 2 foods and some mac n cheese.  From all the therapy we have done I can get him to chew on a chewy tube and other non-food items.  He will swallow Mac n cheese whole.  Sometimes he will gag though.  We had an evaluation at a feeding disorder clinic at a Children's hospital in Houston and the outcome from them was very disappointing.  They said make him bite into a cheetoe puff or something else that will dissolve quickly before I give him any other food like one he really wants.  I have to make sure he continues to get his pediasure though.  Well, I have withheld food in the past and my son will go at least two meals with out eating and I have to give in at that point for obvious reasons.  They said I could force him to bite down to show him what to do.  Well, I did do that and I do not want to do that again.  It was a horrible struggle.  So now he is just not eating.  He will live off the pediasure.  Bottom line... I have ark grabbers, vibrating elephants, chewy tubes, sour straws, spicy items,  brushing the body then joint compressions, Vestibular stimulation linear and more advanced and advice to not feed my son anything he want until he takes a bit of a cheetoe puff in order to add that to his menu of what he will eat.  Can anyone PLEASE give me advice or send me somewhere?
Your son will continue to need the assistance of speech/language pathologists (re: the oral musulature) and occupational therapists. For now, continue with the therapists and permit your son to eat the things he will eat. If you coerce him, he'll shy away from food and that won't help. This condition is not really an eating disorder in the strict sense - such conditions are emotionally-based. This condition has a physical basis and you have been seeking the correct professional help.