Child Behavior Community
Eight-year-old son plays with stuffed animals

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My eight-year-old son still loves to play with stuffed animals.  Any time he gets allowance money, he wants to buy a new Beanie Baby.  He thinks nothing of taking a stuffed animal with him when he goes out and about, whether it is accompanying me on an errand or going to a friend's house.  An adult acquaintance of ours made fun of him the other day because he brought a pink Beanie Baby bear with a red chiffon bow along with him when we were out the other day.  My son is a normal child and is actually very bright.  Please tell me if this is normal.  My mom says I should pack up all his stuffed animals except for a few that he loves the most, and that I should tell him he is not to play with them outside of our home or bring them anywhere ever again.  I'm not sure what to do about this.
OMG.  Please do not listen to your mom.  Let him be.  He will get past it and you have to let it be without shaming him.

What is normal? Some 8 year old's like superheroes, some don't. Some like board games and puzzles, some won't sit still long enough. My first grader still loves to watch Kipper, Max and Ruby, and Bob the Builder. He won't even consider anything with the slightest bit of violence or complicated relationships that might make him squirm. He plays mostly with the same trains, cars and tractors that he has since he was 2 despite our giving him newer and more "age appropriate" toys.

Peer pressure and teasing from the other kids will eventually shift your son's attention to other things besides stuffed animals. He doesn't need to be pressured by adults to give up his stuffed animals, which, by the way, are not just a game to him but comforting in their familiarity as well. If you don't want to encourage him, fine, try to direct his interest elsewhere, but don't discourage him or make him feel it's wrong.  I say shame on that adult who made fun of him, that was very unkind.
yes - shame on the adult- ALTHOUGH There is that way to look at it, but my son was similar- he loved the pink and purple mermaids, everything pink - and we all see where I am going with that idea- my son's friends were making fun of him at age 6 I think it was- and we did let him keep buying "soft pretty toys"- our other issue was that dad had just run away with a blonder cuter sweeter female- a "FRIEND" of the family's and my son still got to go visit them all- and pretend to be a sweet new little family- you can imagine the scandal in our town- we were already in the spotlight so to speak- and our nanny would even try to discourage the softy- girl like toys- I thought they were a comfort- I guess dad did too- he bought him anything he wanted (out of guilt I thought)-

WELL- In steps big brother- 18 my eldest son and told me the way real life ugly playground talk goes- not the pollyana stuff we want it to be- and my son would be labeled soon if he wasn't already- so our solution was to ask the boy if he was ready to give it all up- he spoke to him seriously and sincerely from already growing up in a little town and seeing the playground whispering from his earlier days- he actually understood and agreed- and we were in  Christian counseling then, and they said to save back a few memories and we thought about it and chose not to- we set a date and marked it on the calendar- it was about a month away- the big brother went thru the closets and toychests- and left all the masculine toys- star wars- legos- nothing pink, purple or soft stayed- we donated them to the niece's girls. The replacement was something the boys decided together - a Super Nintendo console- that gave them a chance to bond and get the baby boy out from momma's softness- ??? just another view
Thank you to everyone who answered me.  I sent answers back to all of you but I guess I must have done it privately because none of my responses are posted here!