Child Behavior Community
Eight year old with ADHD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Eight year old with ADHD

My son was diagnosed with ADHD last year and he's on meds and it controls him but we are still having lots of issues with him, he yells at us tells u he wishes he didn't have us for parents, he says he wishes we were dead, hits his siters and will but them till he makes the youngest cry my other kids. Are agree 11  and 3 years, he's doing well in school a lot better then he was before he was diagnose. I tried to talk to the doctor because I was worried there was something else there besides ADHD, his teacher and myself think he has anxiety because he will answer a question or ask one and if we ask him to speak louder he won't talk anymore shuts right down or he will get mad at use because we couldn't hear him and asked him to repeat himself, he will cry too and it takes like 5 to 10 min to calm him down, he's very sensitive and over emotional. I discernible him as a pregnant lady 6 months along and hormones every where cause in one day he can be laughing the in no time at all he's mad at someone or something then he's in his room crying I don't understand why. We are trying so hard to be calm with him and to get him to realize that we are not being mean we just can't hear him. I have talked to his teacher and I am looking into other things to like hearing test to see if background noise distracts him dragon programs and so on. I just want the best for my son and I will do what I can but I feel like every where I turn I'm in a rut. He's started seeing things and hearing things he told me a big yellow bug was in his bed trying to bit him and I showed him there wasn't anything there. Then he was hearing foot steps I. His room and someone under his bed talking to him and sometimes there is someone walking in his room talking to him. I told the doctor but he wasn't much help wants to test him for skitsophrenia. I signed him up for council inc just waiting to get in. So right now I'm stuck I don't know if this is all ADHD or if there us something else there, I try to talk to his doctor but I don't get anywhere with him could someone please help me out here is this normal ADHD stuff? Thanks
Tags: Kids adhd
Who is the prescribing Dr.?  Is it a pediatrician, family Dr., Or psychiatrist?  The only one who should be prescribing your son medication for adhd is a psychiatrist.  If a psychiatrist is prescribing your son medication, it sounds as if you need to get a second opinion.  It also sounds as if your son is displaying signs schizophrenia.  I am glad that you're getting your son into talk therapy.  No child should be taking psychotropic medication without being seen regularly by a mental health therapist.
    Mark is right.  He needs to be doing more then just taking a pill.  I am guessing that a pediatrician prescribed the pill and that was it.  Nothing else changed, but the medication.
   The pill will help with concentration. It will not deal with years of built up anxiety.  It will not deal with how he feels as the pill wears off.  Have you guys had any special training on working with ADHD kids at home?  It is a different situation.
  I am on vacation right now after my daughter got married.  I will be home in two days and able to access my files.  I have links that I can send you that I think will prove helpful.  
   But I am really wondering about the medication he is on.  Could you please post over to me at the ADHD forum where I am also the CL  - http://www.medhelp.org/forums/ADD---ADHD/show/175
    and let me know what he is on and the dose of it.  Has the dose ever been adjusted at all by his doc.  In other words, did the doc start off low and slowly increase?  Oh, and Mark has an excellent question ...what kind of a doctor are you seeing.
    finally on his soft voice.  Is it all the time or only at home.  Has it only been this way for this year or was it like this last year?  How old is he, what grade is he in and when is his birthday?  Get back to me, I can help.
Yes it was a pedi attrition that perscribbed huge med San yes we only just up the dosage and he crystal lots at school also, but he acts out lots at home he's on concerta and takes one pill a day at the same time every day, like I said if it wasn't for his teacher being unbelievably amazing with him and me we probably wouldn't be aon a waiting list to see a physiatrist, and because she wrote letters to his pedi we probably wouldn't be doing a teleaschc but I was trying also to find out if maybe there is more to him besides ADHD, cause I know people who's kids are diagnosed and they don't do this stuff he's eight going on nine this year he was born in 2005 august, he's always been over sensitive, and fights with his sisters I just took it as kids and being young still. He doesn't yell at his teacher so I would have to say mostly at home.
What grade is he in?  What is dose of Concerta?
He's in grade 2 held back a year and 27 mg for his concerta
     You know I noticed that you have mentioned how sensitive he is several times now.   Of course, if someone is anxious or always getting yelled at for being in trouble (typical for a child with ADHD), they do get sensitive...or depressed, etc.
      However, there is another disorder that often is mistaken for ADHD or can exist along with ADHD and that is Sensory Processing Disorder (sometimes called sensory integration disorder) or SPD.   I think it might be worth your time to check out this link.  It might be that "something else" that you are wondering about.   The link is - http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/  
and we have our own forum on the subject if you have any questions.  That is here - http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Sensory-Integration-Disorder-SID/show/1396
     Of course, one reason he does more yelling at home is because his meds are probably worn off, and he gets more impulsive, etc.
       Working with kids with ADHD is really much more difficult and different then working with a child without ADHD.   Unfortunately, pediatricians don't usually have the time to tell parents how to help their children.   Here is a good link with lots of basic ideas on helping an ADHD child.  I can also usually supply specific links for specific behavioral problems.  Anyway, let me know if this is helpful.  The link is - http://www.onhealth.com/tips_for_parenting_a_child_with_adhd/article.htm
    Finally, do let me know what you think about the stuff on Sensory.
Thank you
Thank you I will definitely check this site out I appreciate the help,  thank you