Child Behavior Expert Forum
Emotional Abuse of my Grandson

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Emotional Abuse of my Grandson

My 8 year old grandson is being emotionally and physically abused. He has been beaten with a belt and made to stay in his room for weeks without any of his toys. There is a 6 year old brother who, is the favorite, and never gets punished.
This abuse has been going on for a very long time. I have witnessed many instances of the emotional abuse.  The 6 year old has a beautiful bedroom filled with toys and a large TV with a W!!. The 8 year old has a small room with  a computer and not very much else.The boys argue as most brothers do. The 6 year old will start screaming for Mommy and she punishes the 8 year old severely. Recently the 8 year old damaged a Nintendo DS that,of course, belonged to the 6 year old. The parents now are making the 8 year old pay for a new one. The mother told the 8 year old that he will have a very sad birthday this year, as she will take any money he gets away from him. They take the children shopping and only buy for the 6 year old. They say that because the 8 year old is so "bad" and "greedy",that he is not allowed anything bought for him by anyone. My 8 year old grandson is such a sweet child. The teachers love him. I am worried for his well being. I think the mother has emotional problems. She was on anti-depressants  for a long time. Now, it  seems my grandson is scratching his face and neck and saying he hates himself. I consider myself his only friend. This child is sent to his room for the slightest infraction. All this child has known unfairness. The father [my son} has beaten the child with a leather belt and threatens him with it all the time. I happened to get my grandson on the phone and he was sobbing his heart out because Daddy said he was getting the belt.I am afraid I am going to blow on my grandsons birthday,[October 14] . Can any one give me any suggestions as to what course I must take . The abuse has got to stop. By the way, the family is stable. There is also a 3 year old brother.
No, the family apparently is not at all stable. Quite the opposite. You should take the bull by the horns and notify the local child welfare agency of your concerns re: abuse. To do otherwise is to enable the status quo to continue.