Child Behavior Expert Forum
Emotionally Abused Two-Year Old Grandson
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Emotionally Abused Two-Year Old Grandson

My beautiful two year old grandson is being emotionally abused by his parents. I feel bad writing this but I am so afraid for him. I don't want anything terrible to happen to this family but this child is suffering so badly and no one can see it. His parents think I'm too soft and that he is manipulative. Please listen to a few details: His home is very unstable and unstructured (two families live together in a small apartment, no regular bedtime and a lot of comotion). His parents do not get along and they are so wrapped up in their own troubles that they just want him to be quiet. He is yelled at and talked to very meanly most of the time, and then other times (when his parents are inclined) they are very sweet to him. He never wants to go home. Below is a list of symptoms I have recently observed:
1) He cries a lot when he is with his parents (not as much when he is with others). He is very afraid of his father (so am I).
2) He has no appetite - eats mostly junk food. His mother gives him a daily vitamin and dismisses the problem.
3) He has a hard time getting and staying asleep. He wakes up in the middle of the night in a rage, wailing and hitting himself and throwing himself around, and this happens during the day also.
He is very intelligent and loving now but I know he is being emotionally damaged and I don't know what to do. I comfort him as much as I can. Please advise me. I have begged his parents to get help and they have promised to, but is there anything I can do now to help this child? Many thanks. Anxiously awaiting your response.