Child Behavior Expert Forum
Experimenting? Or abuse?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Experimenting? Or abuse?

My 5 year old son has (more than once) been caught showing his privates and asking other friends (a brother and sister, 4 and 6) to join in this behavior...When caught I asked them what they were doing and they both claimed "nothing" at first. Then I explained they were not in trouble and i just needed to know because I'm the mommy, they explained that they were touching each others areas. I would normally say this is experimental and needs to be monitored but my son had an older kid (9) do these same things to him last year, we reported it to The Child Advocacy Center, the local police, and The Division of Family Services. They told me the child and family were being investigated and I entered my child in counseling, we haven't been to counseling in a few months and now plan to go back but I need to know if this is normal behavior or the cycle repeating itself.
You are doing the correct thing by resuming the therapy. It would not be fair to regard this as normal, particualrly in light of what occurred with him and the fact that he is continuing to engage in the behavior after you have set limits on it.