Child Behavior Expert Forum
Exploring Genitals

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Exploring Genitals

I have seen several questions regarding little girls exploring/discovering their genitals.  My 7 year old daughter has also been doing this the past year or so and I am trying to be a very understanding mom.  I used to get upset, which then upset her.  So now, I try to calmly say, "Please go in your room to do that, it is a very private thing to do." I have talked with my pediatrician about this as well, but as a mom you just can't help worrying! How much is normal?  She only does it occasionaly but does it until she practically reaches orgasm!
There is no sharp dividing line between what is normal and what is excessive. I do think that it is reasonable to say that if a seven-year-old is engaging in masturbation only occasionally and does so in private it is nothing to worry about.
What if she reaches orgasm?   Oh no!  Then what?  She will HAVE to be institutionalized.  Why are you even wasting your time with this?  Who cares?  dpo you wnat someone monitoring YOUR masturbatuion habits?
As a mother I feel that masterbation (masturbation) for teens and pre-teens is not a thing to look down upon.  I dont find anything crude about it and feel that its a way for children to relax.  I myself am 38 and still masterbate daily, im not embarassed.  I just lock my door or go into the bathroom, thats what you should tell your children.  I have 2 girls, one is 10 and the other is 14.  Both of them are masterbators.  I can hear them in their rooms at night, and I find waded up pieces of toilet paper in the trash can.  I believe that for the children to masterbate they need to be taught.  I taught my 14 year-old how to masterbate, my doing a demo for her.  I was not embarassed and neither was she. I taught her the proper way to feel herself, and I am comfortable with that.  So all in all, I think its normal for children to masterbate, even at a young age, but I think that gritting down and personally showing them how to do it is key.  And ladies, we all know we still masterbate even in out late 30's and 40's.
I agree with you, my daughter is only 19 monthes, and she seems to enjoy sticking her finger in her crotch, which surprises me, she's not even out of diapers yet!  I personally don't think I would survive masterbating (masturbating) before the age of 8 or 10. This is my first and only child, and from reading alot of this stuff evidently I doing a whole lot the wrong way.  So even if it is normal, and people are saying to leave her alone, doesn't mean you have to feel so liberal about it.  I would be fairly floored at that age, if my daughter masterbated, especially to the point.