Fear of being alone
My 4 year old son is extremely afraid of being alone.  He will not be in any room without myself or my husband.  If left alone he screams for mom and cries uncontrollably.  If I go to the bathroom, he follows me.  If I take a shower he sits right outside of the tub.  When he says he is scared, I ask him what he is afraid of and he replies "nothing, I am just afraid".  I am uncertain what to do and would appreciate any advice given.  Thank you.
I suspect you're dealing with anxiety - separation anxiety.  I might suggest you google the phrase "separation anxiety and children" or "behaviors of anxiety in children" or similar words/phrase for information about this issue.  There are many articles and book title suggestions which should give you a "starting point" to educate yourself on this problem.  Your son seems to be quite severe in his fears (and I suspect he does not know of what he is afraid - anxiety can be so confusing).  Usually the first recourse is to visit the family doctor or pediatrician.  If he/she is unable to help you,  then ask for a referral to a medical specialist with experience in anxiety disorders.  

Anxiety is an inherited trait and usually is not caused from life experience.  If anxiety is the issue, I assure you that your son will not outgrow it nor will it go away.  School will not be easy for your child without intervention.  But, anxiety is highly treatable (especially with young children).  I wish you the best....
Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.  I will google the phrases and see what comes up.  It is a good place to start.  Thanks again.