Child Behavior Community
Fear of walking - child w/CP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Fear of walking - child w/CP

My son is almost 4 years old. He is diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy and has been working very hard through PT to get stronger and as independent as possible. For the past year we noticed, as he gets closer and closer to walking independently, he is petrified of making the next step and trying to walk on his own. You can tell by looking at his eyes that he is so scared to do anything that might challenge him more, he asks for us to be around him, to walk behind him (while he walks with a walker) and even says to us and his PT's when asked to make that first step - "I am scared". I have been told by many therapists that he is on a verge of walking, it just has to "click" and he will be there. He is extremely smart, very communicative, friendly child. He currently crawls (last year there was no money in the world to get him to do that, now we can't stop him), and can walk with assistance - us or a walker. How can we help him overcome his fears so he can continue developing and hopefully walking independently soon on his own?
I think just be there to cheer him on,  without pressure,  and support him.  Even with children who don't struggle with CP,  walking is scary.  You can see the very boldest fearless ones who aren't afraid of pain walk at 9 months,  and the more cautious careful children walk later - because they don't want to get hurt.

I think if you keep your face pleasant and cheerful,  and don't apply pressure,  he'll do it.  

Good for him for working so hard!
What a Fantastic Boy you have there and a Battler by the sound of it,and you are so caring. I would say by continueing to do what you doing but after you have given the positive "you can do it" Talk, back off, sometimes it can be too overwhelming ,the expectations on him and he is afraid he will disapoint you. If he is on the Verge let him do it when he is ready, go quiet and see what happens, Good Luck, what a great Guy.
BEEN THERE DONE THAT.  HE IS ON THE RIGHT TRACK.  FROM MY VERY OWN EXPIRENCE.  IN 1965 I WAS ALSO BORN WITH CP.  MY PARENTS WERE TOLD TO PUT ME AWAY.  ALSO I WAS TOLD I COULD NEVER DRIVE A CAR, AND NOW I HAVE HAD ABOUT 5 OF THEM IN THE LAST 28 YEARS
IT WAS WHEN I TURNED 6.5 IS WHEN I LEARN TO WALK.  IT WILL BE A LONG ROAD, AND TIRERSOME.  REMEMBER THIS QUOTE FROM PHILIPPPIANS 4-13 "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH HIM (JESUS CHRIST) WHO IS YOUR STRENGTH!"

WHERE AM I TODAY?
I WORK PART TIME,  I LIVE IN MY OWN  RENTAL HOUSE.  I DRIVE ALL OVER GOD'S CREATION.  HERE IN OKLAHOMA.