Child Behavior Expert Forum
First grader having trouble behaving in school..do i need to consult a ...

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

First grader having trouble behaving in school..do i need to consult a doctor?

1. My son is 6 years old and has strted first grade, he has recently started telling too much lies and make false promises very confidently.  Recently he took away his friends snack from his lunch bag and ate it at school and the next day grabbed another classmates candy. His teacher made him write a sorry note and asked him to get it signed by us (his parents) but he did not get it home till three days, giving me a reason that he thought i would be mad at him. My son already had lot of troubel keeping his hands to himself and sitting in one place, he also finshes his work and disturbs others and was lot in trouble during his kindergarten and also was sent to the school counsellor.

We have been trying to work with him and make him understand but somehow he is very good at home but during our absence he just dosent behave. I am worried and desperately need help and advice. He one day even spit in his classmates spagetti during lunch. Do I need to take him to a doctor? He dosent have much friends and kids keep a little distance from him because he just can get too much on them.

Please help.
1 Comment
Yes, there is reason for concern. Generally children are well behaved in school, and his behavior invites worry. He is showing signs of developmental immaturity and behavioral problems that can signify emotional disturbance. Definitely an evaluation is in order.