Child Behavior Expert Forum
First shift working momma with a toddler on third shift sleeping schedu...

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

First shift working momma with a toddler on third shift sleeping schedule...

I have an adorable little girl who turned two on Christmas. I'm not sure if this makes any difference now, because he Dr. says she's developmentally "caught up", she was born at 28 weeks. After she turned one, I took her Dr.'s advice and got her onto a set schedule in which she was bathed, teeth brushed, story read, and laid to rest on her own. It took about a month, but it finally took and by 10:30 every night, she was out. In July, my mother divorced her husband and moved in with me and my husband temporarily. (She lived in a different state) While she was getting over the divorce/ finding another job, she began keeping my daughter- excited to finally have the opportunity to spend quality time with her. Little did I know, her schedule was starting to develop into my mother's desired schedule- and it wasn't until she began working and I was left to sit up all night with a crying toddler that I realized she hadn't listened to anything I'd said. Now, her sleep habits are even worse. I've tried not giving her naps, doing the routine, even having her dad put her to bed (she listens and obeys him MUCH better than she does for me). I've read up on the subject and talked to her Doctor. Given, my mother-in-law is responsible for her now, and much like my mother, she does as she pleases- considering that she has three grown children, she believes her methods are better than mine, though she isn't the one that is up with my daughter every night until 4 a.m. or later, only to turn around and be up again by seven. My mother and my in-laws are the only people I know in this state. I don't feel like I have an option to put my child in another's care, but talking to my in-laws seems to be doing NOTHING. And I can't keep working off of three hours of sleep... I'm literally going to lose my mind. What do I do?
Your child needs the benefit of a stable routine - all children need that. The two 'surrogate mothers' are stepping on your toes as the child's parents and it's up to you to take the bull by the horns and solve that. if you don't you can expect more of the status quo. It sound like you have some hard decisions to make.d