Five year old boy, erections when thinking of girls vagina
My son is five and has had erections since he was a baby...he use to stroke himself at the age of 1 .2 years  and not let me put his diaper on until he was finished doing what he was doing.  Now, at five, he is obsessed with breasts and my very good looking friends.  He wants them to lay in bed with him and read him stories while he lays on their chest.  He recently told our nanny that when he thinks of girls vagina's his penis gets hard....we are pretty liberal...and very open about sexuality.  I don't like to hide things from our children or make up fake names for body parts etc... but this, the part about him getting an erection while thinking of a girls body is a bit unsettling.
Any thoughts?
First off, it is not uncommon for babies to have erections. Are you sure he was stroking himself, like actually masterbating at age 1? Or just messing with himself?
You said you were liberal sexually. I assume you walk around naked. But not all the time. I can see why he has become attracted to female body parts. First off, he found that his penis makes him feel good when he does things to it. At age 1 ot 2. Then it carried over with your liberalism. So it shouldn't be unsettlilng, I don't think. I think the liberalism should stop.
Topics like this are always quite difficult just because they are taboo. I have two boys and as far as i know it is quite normal for boys to play with themselves, and a form of exploration of their own bodies which is also normal. I do think though that if he is talking about other people in relation to his own body then distinctions need to be made. If he is five years old then talk to him about what is ok and what is not ok, for example he may want to explore his body by himself in the privacy of his own space at home but it's not ok for him to do that for example on a bus. You are open with him which is good but it does sound like he needs to know the guidelines about what is socially acceptable too. Also to respect or own bodies we need to keep them for ourselves until we are adults and old enough to have experiences with a respectful partner. Hope that dosn't sound condecending, good luck
As Doctor Sears suggests, you shouldn't hide your body until your toddler expresses modesty with thier own.  So he started to do that in hockey last year in the dressing room and thats when we started covering up and asking for privacy.  We do talk to him very openly about whats acceptable and whats not.  Believe it or not he did stroke himself while he was one till the age of 2...while I would change him on his change table...he would actually stop me from putting on his diaper until he was finished.  He somehow has lost that and I guess doesn't remember the stroking and feeling good part...so he doesn't masterbate.  But he does get erections and he will someone tug at it once or twice and thats it...like its bothering him or something.  My concern is that he actually put an object with his erection.  He actually expressed interest in vaginas and knew that that is what made his penis hard.  That is what I haven't heard from other mothers with toddlers that masterbate.  I think they only do it because it feels good and they don't put a sexual part to the thought process.
It's completely normal, that's part of being a human being.
My 4 year old step son got molested by 14 year old brother. now we have custody if him but he gets hard ons when i shower him or if we hug or lay by him. Is he actually horny???? Since he was exposed to this and he knows what sexual intercourse is. Is he purposely getting an erection?