Child Behavior Community
Four year old bites

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Four year old bites

I have a four year old son.  He is normally a good kid, he's very smart, compassionate, is liked by his peers.
But ever since he was a baby he has bitten other children.  Now that he's older he'll go 4-6 months without biting and then all of a sudden he'll bite again.  Usually it seems to occur after he's been away from school for awhile (spring break, Christmas break, etc).  It's always over a toy or as a reaction to a friend doing something like pushing his tower of blocks down.  When asked why he didn't use words instead of biting he has said "because it's easier to bite"...no speech development issues.

He also says things that he has heard nowhere before like "I'm going to punch you in the head" or "I'm going to turn into a truck and run over you" or "I'm going to burn the school down".  He watches no tv at home except for Little Einsteins, Wonder Pets and Dinosaur Train.  These violent statements just come out of nowhere and they worry us a lot.

When he does this at school he not only gets put in time out but when he gets home he gets a privilege taken away (movie night, etc.).

As he gets older I thought biting would become less...I guess I wonder if we should check into a child therapist at this age?

Thanks!
At 4 years old I wouldn't recommend a child therapist, until at least 6 yrs old. Doing it so young in my opinion is just too much for a little kid and confusing. You don't want him to feel different or anything. He could also be learning that stuff from school, saying he's going to punch people etc. I would just let the school deal with it at school, meaning if he bites at school they they put him in time out thats enough. You dont need to have the discipline continue at home by not having a movie night. Sometimes too much is too much and then he won't care if he stops biting. So a time out is good enough for at school, but def. you need to know if he bites or not so that you can talk to him about it. Say that it hurts etc. Also I would start like a sticker chart, and for each day that he doesn't bite he gets a sticker. After so many stickers he can go pick out a prize at the store. So in the morning say 'no biting, please use your words instead of biting and if you do you can get a sticker' i know it almost sounds like a bribe, and dont over do it, but it might work. also when he says things like punching someone, tell him its OKAY to have feelings of anger, mad, scared etc, but that how we deal with it is what matters. Say 'i understand your very angry right now and thats okay, but you do not need to be mean to other people or say mean things' .....hope some of this helps!